ADAT to Add Additional I/O's to PC

I Got Riffs

I'm using a Line 6 Toneport UX2 interface currently. I also have an ADAT II and was wondering if and how I can use it to add 8 inputs/outputs. The UX2 has a spdif out, but I'm not sure if this is what I need. My PC also has a ditital audio in and out, but I don't know what its for and I'm guessing that if I did want to use it, I would have to choose between the onboard soundcard and the UX2.

No. S/PDIF (and your computer optical) is 2-channel stereo only.

You need to move up to another interface that has adat as you have reached the limit of the UX2.

Haha, that made me sound really dumb. What I meant by that was "if it is ADAT compatible, will it say so?" But I checked out the link and I saw some cheap ones that will probably work. I read a lot of the posts on here and it sounds like that's the only use I'm going to get out of it if the head is worn out.

On another note. What is the s/pdif used for? Can I use it to synch DAW's on two different computers? Just so that if I hit play on one, the other will play too?

Spdif just carries two channels of digital audio, or encoded 6 channel. The latter is usually the case on pc motherboards.
Encoded 6 channel is used for carrying dolby digital.

If you had a preamp with spdif out, and an interface with spdif in, you'd connect them to give your interface two more mic pres.

I've never heard of using it to sync daws. In fact, I don't think I've heard of syncing Daws. How come you want to do that?

To have one playing vst's while I'm tracking audio on another... or to have the additional outputs - like in a live setting I would want left and right channels for backing tracks and then a click on a seperate channel. I guess it doesn't matter, because I need upgrades anyway. But I want to try to get the most out of what I have in the meantime.

I used to multi-track using two tape decks by piggy-backing the line from one to the other. Not the best results, but I was 12 and couldn't afford a Fostex and my friends thought I was a genius :)

Back