ADAT Tape Brand

tuna

Hello forum !

I`ve been using Maxwell tapes and (when I got lucky) Quantegy ones.
A dealer in my city is selling AMPEX 489 tapes, the ones which has ADAT Logo in the cover.
My questions are:
1) is this tape good ?
2) seems like there is VHS written in the cover, not SVHS... I thought ADAT could only work with VHS tapes, is it right ?

Thanks in advance !

ADATs recommend using SVHS tapes - apparently they're manufactured to better specs. I've used Maxell, Quantegy and Emtec (BASF) for quite a while with no problems. A friend of mine with almost the same setup has been using standard Panasonic SVHS tapes and has not had a problem.

Personally I wouldn't use standard everyday video tape (VHS) simply because of it's stability. You can still find ADAT tapes around...they're not scarce...yet. Try online at tapes.com - they have lots of supplies and the prices aren't too bad.

Hope that helps.

I don't know if your near one or not but the Guitar Satan here in Atlanta always has at least 25-30 adat tapes on hand. There are also dozens of places online that still sell them. Just do a search on google.

I am outside US (Brazil), but tapes are a kinda expensive overhere... I just asked because I never saw wuch tape brand, AMPEX, and because it has both ADAT and VHS logo on it... They are running at a low price in our local ebay, but I think they are not new.
I will try to find some real quantegy to buy, or another SVHS good brand.
Thanks for all !

Adats can use any S-VHS tape. It does not have to have the ADAT logo on it. As for the Ampex tapes, if they have the ADAT logo on them, they will be fine. Ampex became Quantegy.

Back