Adat Hd24

mark merton

I bought an Alesis ADAT HD24 recording unit the other day and was wondering what is the best way to link instruments to it (especially guitar and keyboards). Do I need some kind of interface or can I link direct? My second question is this: after I transfer the tracks (via an ethernet link) to my laptop, how do I mix the tracks together to compile the song? The manual leaves something to be desired regarding these issues. :confused:

You will need a mixing board. If you want to hear all 24 tracks you will need a board that has 24 channels. You can also use that board to also send the signals to the HD24. That would be the simplest way to do it.

If you want to mix your songs in your computer after transfering them, you will need a multi-track recording software. You can import each track from your HD24 into your software and start mixing away. There are several software packages availible on the market, but you can do some searching around here and ask questions as start to learn things.

The analog inputs are +4 balanced connections. You'll need some kind of preamp for microphones for sure. Same for instruments. You could plug something like a POD or a DI directly into the HD24. For mixing you could either use an analog mixing console or transfer the recorded tracks into a computer (FTP transfer or Lightpipe or Fireport) and use multitrack software of your choice to mix in the box.

ADAT HD24 Mixer

Thanks guys. Apparently, not all mixers are compatible with the HD24?! They need an "ADAT" port or card built-in. The one I'm looking at is the Yamaha 01V (16 channels I think should do the job). After that I'll hunt for a reasonably-priced effects board and I should be on the highway though on reflection second-time around I'd probably have gone for a second-hand Roland VS2400CD or a BOSS BR module (everything in one unit and probably a lot cheaper in the long run). :)

Last edited:
mark merton said:
Thanks guys. Apparently, not all mixers are compatible with the HD24?! They need an "ADAT" port or card built-in. The one I'm looking at is the Yamaha 01V (16 channels I think should do the job). After that I'll hunt for a reasonably-priced effects board and I should be on the highway. :)

You do not have to use the ADAT lightpipe to use the HD24. The HD24 has 1/4 inch balance inputs and outputs for all 24 tracks. As long as the mixer can send individual channels, you can use it.

mark merton said:
Thanks guys. Apparently, not all mixers are compatible with the HD24?! They need an "ADAT" port or card built-in. The one I'm looking at is the Yamaha 01V (16 channels I think should do the job). After that I'll hunt for a reasonably-priced effects board and I should be on the highway though on reflection second-time around I'd probably have gone for a second-hand Roland VS2400CD or a BOSS BR module (everything in one unit and probably a lot cheaper in the long run). :)

You do NOT need a digital mixer! Pick a mixer with decent preamps and you'll be fine. If you're looking in the 01V price territory, then take a look at this for $1600: Mackie ONYX 24 channel. Good preamps here. The 16-channel version is about $1200.

Onyx_244-3Qtr-4006ba2fa8c4d42973a58b191f908999.jpg

Here's a rear view showing preamp connections.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/1/5/7/402157.jpg

The three subminiature buss connections in the center are also for direct recording; 1-8, 9-6, 17-24. You can connect three balanced signal snakes (D-sub to TRS 1/4" at about fifty bucks each) here to the back of your Alesis unit. Direct recording will pull the signal AFTER the preamp and BEFORE the eq section. You can also use the eqs by recording through groups, or one of six individual aux sends, or routing a channel to the sux subs and pulling a signal from there, or picking up one or both mains signals. But each channel is designed to route the signal directly from the preamp. It's a compromise - cleaner signal, but without the convenience of EQ on record. It limits the board as a mixdown unit, but I believe the preamps make up for that bigtime. Very nice sound for the buck for under a hundred bucks a channel.

If you need a recording program to use with a computer, try googling "Reaper Audio" and looking at the shareware available there. It's wicked cheap and comes with enough very good software effects that you may not need an outboard effects unit for some time.

Last edited:
Mixers for HD24

As usual, great to get the feedback. I spoke to Alesis regarding mixers. Recommendations were the Soundcraft Ghost, Mackie 2424 and Behringer SL2442FXPRO. Well, the Behringer mixers seem quite good (SL series) and reasonably priced. Yarrrr, tis a steep learnin' curve dis recordin business!
:D

mark merton said:
As usual, great to get the feedback. I spoke to Alesis regarding mixers. Recommendations were the Soundcraft Ghost, Mackie 2424 and Behringer SL2442FXPRO. Well, the Behringer mixers seem quite good (SL series) and reasonably priced. Yarrrr, tis a steep learnin' curve dis recordin business!
:D
Yea, it is really steep if you are getting a Behringer. :eek:
You would be better off with a Mackie.

ADAT HD24 n Mixer

Currently checking prices on both Beringer and Mackie models. My setup is quite small - Digital Piano, Fantom X7 synth and guitar and maximum 2 voices. I know digital mixers are way more expensive. Would an analogue mixer work ok with above? I know the HD24 has 24 channels but I'm recording a maximum of 12 instrument sounds so would a 24-channel mixer be a waste of money?

Stefan Elmblad said:
If you're gonna record max 12 channels of audio, the HD24 itself is a waste of money, since you paid for twice the equipment you need.

Second. (more characters needed for post)

mark merton said:
Currently checking prices on both Beringer and Mackie models. My setup is quite small - Digital Piano, Fantom X7 synth and guitar and maximum 2 voices. I know digital mixers are way more expensive. Would an analogue mixer work ok with above? I know the HD24 has 24 channels but I'm recording a maximum of 12 instrument sounds so would a 24-channel mixer be a waste of money?

Go with the Mackie 1604-VLZ3. Set your keyboard up to CH 1 & 2 of the mixer and use the direct outs to go to the inputs of tracks 1 & 2 of the HD24. Set your HD24 to read all inputs from the 1 & 2 inputs. Hook up your outputs from the HD24 to 3 - 16 to line inputs of the Mackie's channels 3 - 16. If you find yourself needing the extra two tracks, you can then patch tracks 1 & 2 back into the Mackie. Set your songs on your HD24 to 16 tracks when initalizing them.

mark merton said:

What version of HD24 did you buy?

mark merton said:
I bought an Alesis ADAT HD24 recording unit the other day and was wondering what is the best way to link instruments to it (especially guitar and keyboards). Do I need some kind of interface or can I link direct? My second question is this: after I transfer the tracks (via an ethernet link) to my laptop, how do I mix the tracks together to compile the song? The manual leaves something to be desired regarding these issues. :confused:

If you just need to hear the tracks for monitoring purposes prior to actual mixing, you just need a small line mixer like the Behringer RX1602. http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/prodsearch?q=Behringer+1602&form=search

You also have the option of mixing "in the box" meaning inside your computer via a program such as Cubase. For $100, you can get Cubase SE and be set for a while. You can expand into other gear as you learn more. Cubase is an excellent program. Ethernet your files into the PC and you'd be set.

Now, mixing with real knobs and faders is more fun (and many argue that it sounds better). Truth is that there are many pros and cons to in-the-box and out-of-the-box mixing. You can also mix in the box, but sum the final mix out of the box, etc.

Before you continue, I'd explore some threads about the differences between the two. Out-of-the-box mixing takes more money. Hardware costs more than software, generally speaking.

My opinion: If you are considering lower-end gear like Behringer for OTB mixing, I'd skip it and buy Cubase and some decent plug-ins from Voxengo, UAD, etc.

Mixer Models

3 Questions: How do you compare Behringer mixers against Yamaha and Mackie? What is the main difference between standard Mackie models and the ONYX series? Finally, if recording using analogue and digital instruments does it make a difference what type of mixer you use?

Last edited:
mark merton said:
3 Questions: How do you compare Behringer mixers against Yamaha and Mackie? What is the main difference between standard Mackie models and the ONYX series? Finally, if recording using analogue and digital instruments does it make a difference what type of mixer you use?

I have owned all three brands you named, except my Mackie was not the Onyx series. Of those three, I would rank Mackie first, Yamaha (assuming you are looking at the MG series) second, and Behringer dead last (way last).

The Onyx series is supposed to have better preamps and EQ, for starters.
Plenty of good info if you use the search function.

By "type" of mixer, do you mean analog vs digital? Analog mixers accept analog inputs, digital accepts digital. You could use either with the HD24.

With the exception of the Onyx, those are pretty low-level mixers. I think you'd have better results with mixing in the computer with Cubase or something. The sonic benefits of mixing in analog are cancelled out if you are not using decent hardware. The HD24 is a great machine - in needs good company.

Do you need the mixer for preamps or mixing, or both?

Question: What is your goal? Is this just for one original project? Do you want to really learn how to make really nice recordings and spend serious time in it? Etc. Knowing the goal you have in mind will help folks steer you in the right direction.

Mixer for ADAT HD24

Thanks for the response. Yes, by mixer I meant using a variety of analogue and digital instruments so I'm not sure if an Analogue Mixer can accommodate both types and likewise with Digital Mixers?

I heard somewhere that only a very few mixers are compatible with the ADAT HD24 (eg. Yamaha 01V which has an ADAT card built in). Is this true for the Mackie range?

No, I plan on doing more than one project. I play a lot of piano (Roland HP557R digital) and guitar and want to break out into recording - at the moment I'm stuck with saving midi files on the in-built 16-track sequencer in the Piano.

Back