Adam A7 Monitors are a Rip Off

mandrum

Ok, I have just bought into all the stuff on the adam a7 power monitors which if you you want to find bad reviews these days its easy for these they were almost impossible to find even then, minor quibbles. Ok, whats my quibble?
Every time i mix on these and it sounds fairly balanced not bass heavy(with computer), quite light actually, I then try the recording out on my hi fi system and what I get is quite different. My system is very good quality and uses b&w 604s speakers (which are a bit bass heavy i find). However match my recordings done with the adam's up to any industry standard, you will find mine are silly, bass mud fever!!!
Now before anyone crits the recordings, yeah ok I am no mutt lang, however I do know simple balance( i am a semi pro conductor/musical director). And dont try to tell me about bass woofers, i have spent enough already for a home studio. Just wish i had bought something which were more realistic. Isnt there another way to help with what i've got though, so that the recordings i mix can be more realistic as i mix?

Every time i mix on these and it sounds fairly balanced not bass heavy(with computer), quite light actually, I then try the recording out on my hi fi system and what I get is quite different.
That's how the world turns, friend. Welcome to the art, science and frustration of audio production and why any salesperson who tells you that all you need is gear to be the next Mutt Lang should have his tongue cut out for making a living by being a liar.

Especially if you don't have the room in which you place those A7s set up properly. Nowhere do you mention room dimensions, the use of bass traps or mix and monitor positioning.

Check out this article on basic mixing room setup for more on getting your bass to stop fooling you.

And even after getting that done, understand that unles syou have a decent room size, mixing to sound good in the studio is not necessarily going to be the same as mixing to sound good in the outside world; some "translation" will probably be necessary.

G.

That's how the world turns, friend. Welcome to the art, science and frustration of audio production and why any salesperson who tells you that all you need is gear to be the next Mutt Lang should have his tongue cut out for making a living by being a liar.

Especially if you don't have the room in which you place those A7s set up properly. Nowhere do you mention room dimensions, the use of bass traps or mix and monitor positioning.

Check out this article on basic mixing room setup for more on getting your bass to stop fooling you.

And even after getting that done, understand that unles syou have a decent room size, mixing to sound good in the studio is not necessarily going to be the same as mixing to sound good in the outside world; some "translation" will probably be necessary.

G.

Exactly. Don't blame the speakers. Treat your room.

i used to use auratone 5-cs or yamaha ns-10s (both near field) and the resulting mixes (cassettes-even a few 45 rpm records) always sounded good on just about any other setup-cars, living rooms, bars, etc.

and those were done ~20+ years ago with sm-57s, akg (?) mics on an akai 630dss 4tr/4ch into a (ugh) peavey 16x2 pa mixer into a telefunken tube 2 tr, and monitored by pioneer qa800a amp (which i still use in my home theater) into above spkrs, in my 'studio' (read-living room).

I've got a pair of A5's and they've been fine so far! I can't see that the A7's should be a problem.

FWIW, my room is less than ideal - just a small student bedroom, but I've arranged everything as much as possible to Glen's article, and put my double bed against the back wall (who needs acoustic treatment?;)) It does ok but it could obviously be a lot better.

Yeah...I was thinking that it's more of a room/treatment issue too.

I've got the A7's too and I get good translation. But this came after I learned them.

Luck man.....

if you don't know the tools well enough to use the tools - don't spend money or bag on the tools - spend more time with them to get to know your tools enough to where you are in the ball park - then tweak it with gear or whatever. it sounds like you are so far off you need more practice with em.

try time and effort. not new monitors...not bass traps...not anything.

i often do remote recording and every room is different. learn your tools and how to use them and you can evaluate. as logical a suggestion as bass traps and room treatment are - they are the new(ish) knee jerk solution as opposed to the user just taking the time to learn how to mix. i agree - it can take a while to learn. that's why this is fun.

it sounds like you know the 604s better than the adams. use them and sell the adams or use them as a reference point against the adams. get some phones and reference them against that. reference recordings you know against your recordings on the adams. however you do it, just learn them. if you don't like em...lose em and start over.

laters.
Mike

i often do remote recording and every room is different. learn your tools and how to use them and you can evaluate. as logical a suggestion as bass traps and room treatment are - they are the new(ish) knee jerk solution as opposed to the user just taking the time to learn how to mix. i agree - it can take a while to learn.
You're absolutely right that it takes time to learn one's ears and one's gear and just plain how to mix, but I gotta disagree on the idea of waiting before one gets their room set up right with what they already have. There's just no point to it.

9 out of 10 newbs that post threads with complaints like this one complain that their bass isn't translating. That's not because of their ears or their inexperience; if it were, there'd be an even spread of complaints across frequencies, not a vast majority in the bass. The problem usually is that they simply have not set up in their room right and they are doing something to make the situation worse, like monitors in the corners, or not shifting their head position 6" this way or that.

Elton has the right idea IMHO; one doesn't need to spend a dime to re-arrange their room to get their monitors out of the corner, throw some heavy cushions in the rear corners or move that side bookshelf three feet forward so it acts like a natural first reflection diffuser. While not "perfect", and some of the mastering and acoustics guys here may wrinkle their nose, that kind of stuff alone can make the difference in night and day in how well the monitors sound and will translate in the bass. It costs nothing, takes maybe an hour of one's time, makes a huge difference in results, and helps one's ear train to the right sounds instead of learning how to mix to the wrong sounds. To me it's a no-brainer of a first step.

G.

... The problem usually is that they simply have not set up in their room right and they are doing something to make the situation worse, like monitors in the corners, or not shifting their head position 6" this way or that.

Elton has the right idea IMHO; one doesn't need to spend a dime to re-arrange their room to get their monitors out of the corner, throw some heavy cushions in the rear corners or move that side bookshelf three feet forward so it acts like a natural first reflection diffuser. While not "perfect", and some of the mastering and acoustics guys here may wrinkle their nose, that kind of stuff alone can make the difference in night and day in how well the monitors sound and will translate in the bass. It costs nothing, takes maybe an hour of one's time, makes a huge difference in results, and helps one's ear train to the right sounds instead of learning how to mix to the wrong sounds. To me it's a no-brainer of a first step.

G.
Extending the '6" suggestion' for alt views in the mid range and sound stage, moving about in the room gets you an averaged view of relative bass level, and the old 'listen from the other room/hallway' for a fine 'real world' perspective.
...Adding to the list of Free Tools. :D

i'm not completely negatating speaker placement or treatment...obviously the guy could be sitting in a null...but more often than not i've found folk just have the bass cranked too high cuz they don't know the monitors themselves...which are usually anemic on the bass on top of that.

throwing money at the problem or blaming the fact that the room isn't pro isn't going to solve anything elbow grease and tips like checking the mix in the next room won't.

laters........
Mike

Hi everyone, thankyou oh so much for your replies. I was beginning to think that no one else could see my posts so I feel overwhelemed with response.
Ok, my room is 4x2m and 2.5m high, not great but fairly dead considering. There are shelves of books and these pick up the rebound a bit. I am also sat about 1 m away from the a7's in a triangle(they are also 1m apart) and not too near corners. I have heard if you get close the effects of the room are not as much. Aside the bass, I feel the high end is lovely smooth, probably something to do with the ribbon tweeters, however, again not great in translating a mix, as I am missing a lot of the harsh piercing top end problems which my 604s happily play for me, and they are by no means neutral, anyone that knows of B&W speakers they will know they are coloured, so I would hate to hear my recordings on something of flat response such as Yamaha nt10's. As I am quite new to home/project studio recording, I would believe that the reason I get so much top and bottom in a mix is lack of experience, not because of the monitors but are there monitors out there that translate better, I am also considering the yamaha hs80's, anyone any views on these?

How long have you had the A7's?

If not very long, hold off on buying new monitors. Learn these ones first.

Burn a few CDs. Listen on different stereos, boombox, car etc. Listen to how they translate and take that info back to the mixing desk and apply as needed.

When I very first got going, I had a pair of Events (forget the model) and couldn't get a decent sound to save my ass. Since I didn't know about learning the speakers in my room or room treatment and its importance, I sold them thinking they were junk.

I pretty much just wasted my $$$......

Just passin on my bonehead mistakes. Maybe it'll save you a few bucks.
:cool:

Ok, my room is 4x2m and 2.5m high, not great but fairly dead considering. There are shelves of books and these pick up the rebound a bit. I am also sat about 1 m away from the a7's in a triangle(they are also 1m apart) and not too near corners. I have heard if you get close the effects of the room are not as much. Aside the bass, I feel the high end is lovely smooth, probably something to do with the ribbon tweeters, however, again not great in translating a mix, as I am missing a lot of the harsh piercing top end problems which my 604s happily play for me, and they are by no means neutral, anyone that knows of B&W speakers they will know they are coloured, so I would hate to hear my recordings on something of flat response such as Yamaha nt10's. As I am quite new to home/project studio recording, I would believe that the reason I get so much top and bottom in a mix is lack of experience, not because of the monitors but are there monitors out there that translate better, I am also considering the yamaha hs80's, anyone any views on these?
This is a very educational post which I believe uncovers some of the translation problems you're having, and I think emphasizes the importance of your making sure you're hearing the monitors more than you're hearing the room.

Bigtoe is absolutely right; there's no substitute for practice, practice, practice, with an emphasis on learning your monitors and how to translate them. And you don't need (in fact, will probably never get with those dimensions) a "pro-sounding" room to do so. It can be done with what you have, but your situation is definitely going to make the job much harder.

As I see it (IMHO only), you have two major obstacles in front of you right now. One is the 2m room dimension, which is a tight squeeze. The second is your current ear training and preferences and their definition of flat vs. colored monitors.

As to the room dimension, there's nothing you can do about that without moving to another room or demolishing a wall ;). But what you can do - if you have not already done so - is to set your monitor triangle up along one of the short 2m walls so that the long distance of the room is behind your back. If you're set up with your back against the rear wall. that will play havoc for sure with your monitor response, regardless of how close you are to your monitors. (The idea that if your closer to your monitors, the room will make less of a difference is only half true, at best. Bass modes will occur where they want to occur based upon the room, pretty much regardless of how close or how far you are from your monitors.) And if you can, try to keep your head position away from the center of the room. Ideally if you can have your seat about 1.5m from the wall behind the monitors (with the monitors themselves about a half meter or so from that wall), that should be much better than dead center.

The second thing is that - based upon what you said in that post, anyway - is that you are used to thinking of a speaker with a midrange emphasis as "flat". The 604s are an excellent high end loudspeaker, you are right, but they do have their character (as do all loudspeakers). As a 3-way with a massive 7" midrange and a dome tweeter known to be a bit bright (B&W is kind of famous for bright high end), and a low end that goes down to 34Hz, but with a full 6dB drop, it's not much of a surprise that the A7s are giving you trouble in direct translation, as they have a rather different character. They are actually quite flatter in the mids and highs than the 604s, and tighter in the bass, though not as extended (47Hz +/-3dB).

A tip-off was your reference to the NS10s as "flat". They are about as far from true flat as one can get, with a 5dB bump in the upper mids, high end that can go harsh quite quickly, and a bass so anemic as to make the A7s sound virtually subwoofer-ish in comparison. While it would be quite wrong for me to compare the fine 604s with the NS10s, the NS10s are kind of a cartoonish-overemphasized version of the coloration characteristics present in more limited quantities on the 604s. As such, to paraphrase of the old addage, "If you can get it to sound good on the NS10s, it'll probably sound good on the 604s". Put another way, they will have a much shorter translation path for you than a much flatter speaker like an A7 or a KRK 8 or a Tannoy Reveal will have, especially since that is what your ears are used to.

With that in mind, your question about the HSM-80s is appropriate. The 80s will have a bit lower bass response than the NS10s, though at +/-10dB, they are pretty sloppy down there. But it will be much closer to the kind of bass you're getting out of the 604s than the tighter response of the A7s. The HSM-80s are not NS10s (which is probably the kindest thing I could say about any loudspeaker ;) :D), but they are in a similar class. If, after arranging your room as best a you can, you simply find that translating something like the A7 to what you are used to is too difficult (and there's no crime in that, everybody's ears are different), then yeah, maybe something like the HSM-80 may fit your needs better.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

G.

Just to repeat an idea from your other post in the monitor thread..
mandrum said:
..Every time i mix on these and it sounds fairly balanced not bass heavy(with computer), quite light actually, I then try the recording out on my hi fi system and what I get is quite different. My system is very good quality and uses b&w 604s speakers (which are a bit bass heavy i find)..?

A very basic thing is missing in this. What happens when you take the commercial refs to your monitor/mix room?
Work it reversed. That should tell a lot about which is doing which. It's also a fairly common means of not only learning our systems and how it relates, but as the occasional refrence break to retune the ears after looking 'too closely at the trees' as happens to us all.

Try it between the two rooms with some refrence cd's that you know well.

I use a pair of JBL car speakers. They probably suck, but I'll blame myself for any shitty sounding recocording I might be talentless enough to produce before I blame them.

Last edited:
same goes for any new monitors...you have to LEARN them

Get out all your favorit CDs and listen through the Adam's. You'll want to put in 50 hours listening time before your ears learn what they are hearing. In turn you aim for that sound in your mixes. It'll take you a week or two but there's no denying the A7's are good monitors.

Very educational - I agree, and if you dont mind me saying you guys sound quite down to earth, helpfull and full of excellent ideas, making this forum post the most usefull I have ever made.

Ok, say I was making a track with some low dancy bass lines. Surely it would help to hear these lines in most of their glory rather than try to learn to imagine as then you are making a real stab in the dark and the term monitor would be a misleading one? Its just, well this gear is so over priced. I remember hearing a decent pair of diamands, you know the low end high fi stuff, ok not ideal, but a good buy. These A7's were supposed to be value for money. I just think at the price I expected a little more. Which is another reason being interested in the yamaha HS80's. There is a snobbery and a current trend thing going on (not in this thread) and I have just bought into it. I have realised I have not come across one studio with these a7 speakers and seen many with the krk's, yams etc. Does anyone know if A7's are good and are they rated amoungst the pros. If not I believe I've just spent $100, 000 on a crappy Merc. when I could have spent $50 000 on a fine running B.M.W.

Ok, they must be good everyone says they are, I give in, I will learn these speakers. Or change my mind tommorrow.

I just think at the price I expected a little more.

Didn't you go into the store with a couple of your fav CDs and have a listen before you forked out the hard earned wonga for them? Would you buy a new car without a test drive? :rolleyes:

Back