ADA8000 mic pre - recording at 96kHz?

composition4

I'm (maybe) interested in buying a Behringer ADA8000 for use with my Hercules 16/12FW. The one concern I have though, is will I be able to record at 96kHz? I know the A/D is only 44.1kHz... do the mic inputs go directly out to the line outputs? Or will it have to go to the A/D converter then routed to the digital in, then go through the D/A converter to the Analog outs?

Hope this isn't too confusing...

That and the inputs don't go directly to the outputs. It would involve looping the ADAT out to the ADAT in. Analog in > ADAT out > ADAT in > Analog out (A/D to D/A).

Sorry I mean linking the ADAT out to digi in by "Or will it have to go to the A/D converter then routed to the digital in, then go through the D/A converter to the Analog outs?"

Well now that THAT question is answered, I've got another one...

Is there a significant loss of quality/noise added when using the pre in this fashion (A/D to D/A then out to interface)? Enough to worry about?

So in other words, you want to use the ADA8000 strictly as a preamp, without using it's digital outputs?

The recording chain (or preamps to anything) is the last place you'd want to add an unnecessary AD/DA conversion. Doesn't matter if it is this converter or any other. It will affect the sound, and not in a good way. Better to just get yourself an eight channel preamp and keep the signal as pure, clean, and simple as possible.

I could see using it with the ADAT outputs, but to loop them to get the signal back to analog, that doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Back