AD/DA Converter

fdrennan

What is it? And how would it help my rig? I have Pro Tools LE with the Digi 003 rack with 8 pre's! Thanks for your help!
Also, what would be a good one with at 2000 price limit?
I searched AD/DA Converters and didnt find much information.
Hope this isnt too much of a dumb question! : )

A/D=Analog to Digital
D/A=Digital to Analog

so an A/D converter would be an Analog to Digital converter. Basically your 003 is an A/D converter since it's taking your mic signal and converts it into digital for your computer.
It's ALSO a D/A converter because it converts the signal in Pro Tools back to analog so your speakers can play it.

Standalone A/D converters would plug into your digital connections on the 003. Some companies specialize in converter technology and so they make better converters than the all-in-one units that some other audio companies make. That's not saying the converters are terrible on the 003...it's just some purists prefer to use higher quality.
Also, the connection of another A/D converter would allow you to utilize more inputs on your 003. For that unit you could have up to 18 mics plugged in if you had the right equipment.

Decide if you actually NEED a converter. If you're asking what a converter is...you probably wouldn't hear the aural differences. If you only record a couple of instruments at a time...then the 8 pres are probably enough for you.

Last edited:
What is it? And how would it help my rig? I have Pro Tools LE with the Digi 003 rack with 8 pre's! Thanks for your help!
Also, what would be a good one with at 2000 price limit?
I searched AD/DA Converters and didnt find much information.
Hope this isnt too much of a dumb question! : )

Why are you setting a price point for something you dont know? Figure out what you need before you buy it. Bennychico gave a great explanation as to what the converter does. The one's on your 003 won't hold you back from making good recordings. There is likely something weaker in your signal chain that may need some upgrading before your converters.

I've been using a Digi002 for about a year and a half and that's now becoming a part of my dilemma too. As I have heard first hand the improvements that a solid AD/DA unit can make, and for me I dont think the DIGI 002 is cutting it anymore. However I cant simply ditch it in favour of something else if I still want to use pro tools. Anyone know how the converters in a digi 192i/o or 96i/o compare to a Rosetta 800?

I've been using a Digi002 for about a year and a half and that's now becoming a part of my dilemma too. As I have heard first hand the improvements that a solid AD/DA unit can make, and for me I dont think the DIGI 002 is cutting it anymore. However I cant simply ditch it in favour of something else if I still want to use pro tools. Anyone know how the converters in a digi 192i/o or 96i/o compare to a Rosetta 800?

if you're just interested in upgrading the converters and don't need a new I/O option...take a look at the mods from Black Lion:

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/digi002_mod.html

Jorock.
If you still want to use PT, then why don't you switch to PT M-Powered. You have a much wider choice of AD/DA you can use wit MP.

Must say that LE has a little more advantage over MP with extra tools etc. but MP can do the job as well.

You have a much wider choice of AD/DA you can use wit MP.

please explain....

doesnt the Digi002 have spdif i/o and ADAT i/o???

and the Rosetta 800 has ADAT outs....if that is the case, just use the ADAT ous from the Rosetta to the ADAT ins on the Digi...

I use PT mpowered...I have a Delta 1010. I record drums with the Delta because I need all the channels. I record everything else with a Lucid stereo converter into the Delta's s/pdif...

please explain....

doesnt the Digi002 have spdif i/o and ADAT i/o???

and the Rosetta 800 has ADAT outs....if that is the case, just use the ADAT ous from the Rosetta to the ADAT ins on the Digi...

I use PT mpowered...I have a Delta 1010. I record drums with the Delta because I need all the channels. I record everything else with a Lucid stereo converter into the Delta's s/pdif...

With LE you still using the I/O's of the Digi hardware and they only have 1 ADAT out, wich means you have only 8 ADAT I/O. So if you wanna use a top High-End AD/DA converter on ADAT you can only use 8 I/O's of the high-end converter. And the other 8 will go thru the Digi interface.

That's not the case with MP, you can use more ADAT I/O's.:D

With LE you still using the I/O's of the Digi hardware and they only have 1 ADAT out, wich means you have only 8 ADAT I/O. So if you wanna use a top High-End AD/DA converter on ADAT you can only use 8 I/O's of the high-end converter. And the other 8 will go thru the Digi interface.

That's not the case with MP, you can use more ADAT I/O's.:D

Such as the lightbridge...

However you can't use Complete Production Toolkit with MP so that'd put me right off. Plus to be honest, I think the converters in the 003 are perfectly adequate. There are for more things to be worrying about than the converters at this level. Acoustics is the obvious thing that comes to mind, monitoring and microphones are close behind.

However you can't use Complete Production Toolkit with MP so that'd put me right off.

Yeah.. that's what I ment, LE has a little more options in expanding your DAW. Also the fact that you can have 128 tracks with LE over 64 for MP.
That's all marketing they want to sell more HD's and LE's over MP, the cheapest one.:mad:

Yeah.. that's what I ment, LE has a little more options in expanding your DAW. Also the fact that you can have 128 tracks with LE over 64 for MP.
That's all marketing they want to sell more HD's and LE's over MP, the cheapest one.:mad:

I don't agree with that. I think that M-Powered quite often works out more expensive than LE. It's not that they want to sell more HD than anything else (though of course they do, and I'm not doubting that), it's that they offer products to cater for different customers at different price points, with different needs.

what M-audio interface has more than 1 ADAT i/o? I use m-powered and to my knowledge M-powered only supports the use of 1 interface.

As I said already - the Profire Lightbridge. Of course you can only use 18 of those i/o at a time, but it does allow you to run any converters you please with Pro Tools. I believe the Profire 2626 also has two ADAT connectors, though it's a bit more costly.

I don't agree with that. I think that M-Powered quite often works out more expensive than LE. It's not that they want to sell more HD than anything else (though of course they do, and I'm not doubting that), it's that they offer products to cater for different customers at different price points, with different needs.

As I said already - the Profire Lightbridge. Of course you can only use 18 of those i/o at a time, but it does allow you to run any converters you please with Pro Tools. I believe the Profire 2626 also has two ADAT connectors, though it's a bit more costly.

I understand your statement but.... different needs?? What about this need, and I'm sure I'm not alone on this.
I don't want to spent that much money to buy HD. I still want to use a High-End converter of my own choice and I need 128 tracks and record my tracks on a 64 H/W buffer. I also want to have ADC, so no plugin will cause any latency. :D:D

Don't think they will produce this version of PT for 150 bucks or less.:mad:

If you can do with MP what you can do with LE or even HD. I'll bet ya they're gonna sell more MP versions.
I'm here with PT 8 (MP) with a Lightbridge and a SSL AD/DA converter.
I got 24 I/O's with Solid State Logic quality. I'm sure many big guys (studio's) will setup such a chain if MP was a full functional Protools. And I can assure you this one is working excellent here, love Protools MP, so I'm not complaining at all.

I don't think that M-Powered quite often works out more expensive than LE. Just look at the option in LE, you can do everything in LE what MP can do. But not the other way around.

I understand your statement but.... different needs?? What about this need, and I'm sure I'm not alone on this.
I don't want to spent that much money to buy HD. I still want to use a High-End converter of my own choice and I need 128 tracks and record my tracks on a 64 H/W buffer. I also want to have ADC, so no plugin will cause any latency. :D:D

Don't think they will produce this version of PT for 150 bucks or less.:mad:

If you can do with MP what you can do with LE or even HD. I'll bet ya they're gonna sell more MP versions.
I'm here with PT 8 (MP) with a Lightbridge and a SSL AD/DA converter.
I got 24 I/O's with Solid State Logic quality. I'm sure many big guys (studio's) will setup such a chain if MP was a full functional Protools. And I can assure you this one is working excellent here, love Protools MP, so I'm not complaining at all.

I don't think that M-Powered quite often works out more expensive than LE. Just look at the option in LE, you can do everything in LE what MP can do. But not the other way around.

How have you got 24 i/o with M-Powered?

Let's not start bitching about HD vs MP vs LE etc. and I'm so sick and tired of the ADC bs. Get over it. It's not gonna happen any time soon. If you want it, get HD. Does anyone produce software that does ADC for 150? If they do, is it as good as Pro Tools? I rest my case.

IMO if you need HD (and/or the features that come with it) it will pay for itself. If you don't need it, then clearly it's a very large amount of money to spend.

I'm not stating an opinion when it comes to M-Powered often being more expensive - it is. For the comparable hardware (like Mbox 2 vs Fast Track Pro), the LE stuff works out cheaper once you've added the cost of M-Powered software. You also end up with a more expandable solution which is capable of surround sound.

I'm not having 24 I/O's with M-Powered. I got 24 I/O's with Solid State Logic quality. And with MP I can use the SSL (18 I/O). I'm not only using Protools, I also use Cubase, Live and/or Reaper.

But this is getting a little bit off topic.

All I wanna say is that you have a wider choice with MP for your I/O set-up and you still can run other program’s as well with the same set-up.
But don't get me wrong the converters of the 003 are good.
Just like you said there are more thing to look at before worrying about the converters of the Digi hardware.

I'm not having 24 I/O's with M-Powered. I got 24 I/O's with Solid State Logic quality. And with MP I can use the SSL (18 I/O). I'm not only using Protools, I also use Cubase, Live and/or Reaper.

But this is getting a little bit off topic.

All I wanna say is that you have a wider choice with MP for your I/O set-up and you still can run other program’s as well with the same set-up.
But don't get me wrong the converters of the 003 are good.
Just like you said there are more thing to look at before worrying about the converters of the Digi hardware.

I get ya now. You're correct about having a wider choice for I/O with MP, this is true and the integration with third party aps is perhaps better than the Digi stuff. And yes slightly off topic, but I think the original question has mainly been answered :)

I get ya now. You're correct about having a wider choice for I/O with MP, this is true and the integration with third party aps is perhaps better than the Digi stuff. And yes slightly off topic, but I think the original question has mainly been answered :)

+1 :D.

Cheers

Back