Acustic treatment for recording and rehearsal studio

rmznkskngl

kroki.jpg

This jpeg show size of our flat for recordng. The height is same for all walls and it is 2.60 m.

We will make some different kind of music like rock and cultural music. Our music is loud and we need to put some acustic treatment. I want to place some diffusers and absorbers on the walls but do not know where to put exactly.

There is three aktive loud speakers (800 wat) in the room and tascam dp-32.

So in this room, where should I place the absorbers, diffusers and loudspeakers in the room?

Sorry if I am mistaken in some parts.

In a room that size, you'd probably be best served ripping it down to the studs, filling them with rigid fiberglass or Roxul Safe n Sound and then stapling cloth over it. Especially if you're talking "loud" --

Diffusion is going to be the least of your worries. Getting the low end under control is going to be (as it almost always is) the primary issue.

THAT SAID: If you fill the studs and maybe stack the corners, you could probably put up a few poly-cylindric diffusers to liven up the space a bit...

If yanking down the wallcover is not an option, you're going to need bass traps/superchunks in all the corners, including those little 80cm/60cm ones, not just the main corners. Are you going to be mixing in that room, too? If so, you'll probably want to move the desk/monitors as close to the door of the left-side room as you can to get symmetry in the listening room.

What is the flooring? How high is the ceiling?

Okay I can do superchunk bass traps in all corner, not a problem I have stuff and time.

It is good point that you remind me to come to door side for symmetry. We did not open the compact class place, so I will bring it t middle as possible.

Floor is now old hardwood.But house master gave me two options:
first is to cover whole ground with 2cm good carpet or cover it with laminate.

I think the carpet is better option for acustic. If you suggest something for ground, you can write here but not expensive and special stuff, we do not have big budget.

During the process, I will open a new subject in my studio and upload the photos.

Hardwood is the best choice for the floor, don't change it! If you find it a little too bright, throw a rug down.

Okay then it is good no problem. But the floor does not look well, so If it is okay for acustic, I can grind it and apply some varnish to provide good visualisation of the studio.

Okay then it is good no problem. But the floor does not look well, so If it is okay for acustic, I can grind it and apply some varnish to provide good visualisation of the studio.
Laminate is ok, too, if you're going to change it because of the condition it's in. Either way, you want a hard floor, and an absorbing ceiling, ideally.

On the ceiling, I am planning to make 3 absorber which is 3x2 meter. As you see there is three big part in my flat, and I will mount three 3x2 meter absorber to the mid of all three parts. I will use pyramid foam absorber for ceiling

And one more question,
What should I put front of the windows. They must work after decoration, I may need to open them.
I heart about acustic curtains but they are expensive. So is there any alternative of it?
I can disable the windows and cover it but the ventilation will be problem in the room.

'Pyramid foam' - no, no no, no. For your ceiling clouds, use 2" thick (at least) OC703, 705 or Roxul rockwool. Foam does not absorb ANY lows. It's better to leave space between the 'cloud' and the ceiling, too.
For the window coverings - heavy insulated drapes, or even moving blankets that you can just hang up when recording or mixing.

MJB is right. I'm only repeating it because it needs repeating. Forget about foam. There is no good reason to use foam as your main material in sound treatment. Anything with the word "foam" in it will only kill your high's, not touch your low's, and give you a shitty boxy sound.

Forget foam. It's pretty much useless.

Okay I am now looking for it. I can supply it from German ebay. I am watching to youtube videos hot to do it. So Roxul rockwool is good. My question is "Can I use any fabric to cover roxul or the fabric must be special fabric for sound absortion?"

Okay I am now looking for it. I can supply it from German ebay. I am watching to youtube videos hot to do it. So Roxul rockwool is good. My question is "Can I use any fabric to cover roxul or the fabric must be special fabric for sound absortion?"
Make sure the fabric is "breathable". You should be able to blow through it and feel the air coming through. You don't want very thick and very tightly woven material.

Okay, it is clear but I am gonna shop online, so it is hard to test it. If you know exact type of fabric (cheap ones), I can easily find it.

I see. Others might be able to help more, but I think I've read people talking about "Burlap" quite often.

okay thanks I have found it German name is Sackleinen and it is quite cheap.

ruxol rockwool is also good price, but brand is not ruxol. I think there is alternative brand for Germany. Thanks again.

There are specialty "acoustic" cloths, but any breathable fabric that isn't too tightly woven should do. Burlap is frequently mentioned, although typically burlap smells weird and is kind of unsightly. You can always wash it before using it, which should help the odor and it will soften it and release any loose fibers.

When I ordered my acoustic panels and traps through GIK, they used Guilford Of Maine for fabric. That's a U.S. company so it won't do you much good in Germany...There were 2 lines of fabric that they recommended: Anchorage and FR701. It's hard to tell from a website but maybe these will give you an idea of the types of weave that are considered desirable.

FR701: FR701® - Guilford of Maine

Anchorage: Anchorage (66") / Open House (54") - Guilford of Maine

EDIT: actually it looks like GoM has an entire suite of "acoustic" fabrics: Acoustic Textiles - Guilford of Maine

No I cant find it in German seller website. When I search for acustic fabric, it always show different type of fabrics. I think I am gonna go for burlap.

Back