Act Now - (My first recording!)

snakeyez

Hey guys. My actual setup has not arrived yet, but i have been getting anxious to at least start learning some basics with various FX and Reaper. So i recorded this song with.... *gasp* my $5 gaming headset microphone. It seemed to pick up the guitar pretty well, but w/ my voice it didnt seem to get the full depth of it. (I know, go figure :p) Anyways, it didnt seem all that bad, with maybe an exception of a kinda crappy take with the vocals. I was a bit "pitchy" at times, i was afraid to sing too strongly because it would sound harsh or blotchy when i did, and there were a few pops into the microphone.

I wrote the song for my brother while he was serving his time over in the sandbox.

Any tips, filter / FX recommendations, constructive criticism, and comments are welcomed! Thanks!

FX list on vocals
Reverb
Parametric EQ

You won't need really expensive gear to get a good sound. What you got out of that headphone mic sounds better than a lot of stuff I've heard. Vocals are pretty pitchy in a few places and "explosive". A better mic should help.

It's obvious the guitar was recorded with a really cheap mic, I thought it was one of those radio shack or wal-mart karaoke ones at first. But considering what you used it actually picked it up pretty well.

I like the song.

I don't know what else you could do to make this sound better. You could try a little EQ on the acoustic but I doubt that'd help much. I'd just wait til you get your recording gear in. :)

Yeah, i attached a pic of the mic i used to this message. Maybe it's a hard task using this crappy mic, but i was trying to figure out how to make the vocals sound laced in with the guitar, instead of standing out. I am having trouble understanding the reacomp, as i figured it would help if i compressed the vox a little bit.
Thanks for checking it out!

Attachments

• 980375-0000.jpg
    980375-0000.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
No worries, keep playing, putting down little musical ideas & sketches THEN...
Hey didn't metal licker record with a phone speaker?

Hey guys. My actual setup has not arrived yet, but i have been getting anxious to at least start learning some basics with various FX and Reaper. So i recorded this song with.... *gasp* my $5 gaming headset microphone. It seemed to pick up the guitar pretty well, but w/ my voice it didnt seem to get the full depth of it. (I know, go figure :p) Anyways, it didnt seem all that bad, with maybe an exception of a kinda crappy take with the vocals. I was a bit "pitchy" at times, i was afraid to sing too strongly because it would sound harsh or blotchy when i did, and there were a few pops into the microphone.

I wrote the song for my brother while he was serving his time over in the sandbox.

Any tips, filter / FX recommendations, constructive criticism, and comments are welcomed! Thanks!

FX list on vocals
Reverb
Parametric EQ

Tips on the existing recording are fruitless, because you really should just wait for your real gear. All things considered, you got a fairly decent acquisition, and what you've got is fine for a sketchpad for ideas, as noted earlier. I think that when you get better gear in , you'll feel more comfortable, and won't worry so much about the 'plosives in the vox (not bad though)... I was expecting awful, and it is actually quite enjoyable. Made me think of Extreme (the More Than Words guys)...

Back