Across the Universe - Beatles Cover

You did a nice job on this one. Wasn't this written when John Lennon was all blissed out on that guru/yogi guy?

My only thing is the slight break at the very start, I think at 8 seconds?

All over you captured the mood, I love this song, I've tried playing and singing it, and it's not as easy as it sounds. Your voice is very different, but I like it. Well done. :)

Yep. I'll have to listen to what you mean at the 8 sec mark.

Thanks for the kinds words!

Sounds good. It is a tough tune to sing and get the breathing correct for me. Your voice reminds me of Ray Davies of The Kinks !!

Thanks! If I were to do it again, I'd tune the 12 Str down a key ... like I believe Lennon did.

Ok I heard the first 10 seconds of this song, and I'm so sorry, but the music part is just fine, but your vocal made my ears bleed!!

Not to sound like "Whiplash" I am something of a perfectionist in the music/Vocal area of music sound production, and it missed the nail by a Maxwell Hammer on crack....

Ok I heard the first 10 seconds of this song, and I'm so sorry, but the music part is just fine, but your vocal made my ears bleed!!

Not to sound like "Whiplash" I am something of a perfectionist in the music/Vocal area of music sound production, and it missed the nail by a Maxwell Hammer on crack....

I'm sorry to hear that. Ears bleeding can be serious, and lead to side effects such as Maxwell's Silver Hammer on crack abuse. I suggest you see somebody about that a.s.a.p. -- and I so apologize for any pain I may have caused you.

:)

EDIT:

I don't want to start a war in the Clinic, so I've deleted my impulsive response. :)

I have no problem with someone not liking something, but can we try to at least be helpful rather than just insulting? I don't think that's asking too much.

Last edited:
I notice at times… that this forum deviates from a mix critique forum, into a performance / ability critique forum. All may have a place here. But for me, i prefer to listen to the mixes and skip the personal opinions about someones talent level or pitchiness, or missed notes ect. I am new and trying to gain some knowledge and insight to learn how to make some home recordings that i like and enjoy. Not studio perfect recordings, home recordings to the best of my ability… including pitchiness, missed notes, and ear bleeding vocals that don't sound like the original artist. I'm not trying to offend anyone or start a riot with this post. It's just my opinion and what popped in my head reading some posts. I happen to think you nailed this song !! Top Notch !

I think performances are fair game for critique, so long as the critique is constructive. By constructive, I mean that if you are going to tell someone they shouldn't do A, perhaps you can recommend they try B. If I record something that sounds objectively bad, I want y'all to tell me about it. But try to be more specific than "you suck". :)

Any time you record someone else's work, you are going to invite comparison to the original. Kdub tackled a difficult tune, and that should be acknowledged. The recording, like all recordings, has shortcomings. Kdub wants to hear about them, but also needs to hear what he got right.

Edzbug62 didn't blow it because he was critical of kdub's performance - several of us were critical of Kdub's vocal performance. Edzbug62 blew it because starts out by saying he listened to 10 seconds of the song, declared that the song was unfit for him because he is a perfectionist, and then tried to make a joke of it. All in all, Edzbug62 spent way more time creating his unhelpful post than he did listening to Kdub's song.

And with that, I hope Kdub's song returns to the spotlight here.

EDIT:

I don't want to start a war in the Clinic, so I've deleted my impulsive response. :)

I have no problem with someone not liking something, but can we try to at least be helpful rather than just insulting? I don't think that's asking too much.

I've no problem with it either. None whatsoever. I put on my big boy pants today. :D

I notice at times… that this forum deviates from a mix critique forum, into a performance / ability critique forum. All may have a place here. But for me, i prefer to listen to the mixes and skip the personal opinions about someones talent level or pitchiness, or missed notes ect. I am new and trying to gain some knowledge and insight to learn how to make some home recordings that i like and enjoy. Not studio perfect recordings, home recordings to the best of my ability… including pitchiness, missed notes, and ear bleeding vocals that don't sound like the original artist. I'm not trying to offend anyone or start a riot with this post. It's just my opinion and what popped in my head reading some posts. I happen to think you nailed this song !! Top Notch !

Thanks chambie. I'm glad you liked it. :)

I think performances are fair game for critique, so long as the critique is constructive. By constructive, I mean that if you are going to tell someone they shouldn't do A, perhaps you can recommend they try B. If I record something that sounds objectively bad, I want y'all to tell me about it. But try to be more specific than "you suck". :)

Any time you record someone else's work, you are going to invite comparison to the original. Kdub tackled a difficult tune, and that should be acknowledged. The recording, like all recordings, has shortcomings. Kdub wants to hear about them, but also needs to hear what he got right.

Edzbug62 didn't blow it because he was critical of kdub's performance - several of us were critical of Kdub's vocal performance. Edzbug62 blew it because starts out by saying he listened to 10 seconds of the song, declared that the song was unfit for him because he is a perfectionist, and then tried to make a joke of it. All in all, Edzbug62 spent way more time creating his unhelpful post than he did listening to Kdub's song.

And with that, I hope Kdub's song returns to the spotlight here.

Succinctly put, bud. I've no problem with it not being up to Ed's standards. After all, this is the internet, and I take it for what it is ... and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Yeah, perfectionists kind of suck.

I enjoyed this, and frankly I wasn't sure I was going to. I'm not a fan generally of the shimmering quality of 12 strings, but I think it works here and is captured nicely.

I think you took just enough liberties with the vocal performance to keep it respectful, yet make it your own.

I particularly liked the part @ 2:25 where you quieted down with the guitars and that made me wish there was more of that as there's times particularly at the end of phrases where your voice recedes into the music a bit and I wanted it to remain front and center, you know?

Good job with this though. Of course that's coming from someone who does not work in the music production business, so probably not worth your time. :)

Oh, and I too think performance should be fair game in here, especially if said performance is the primary obstacle to getting a good sounding track.

That just isn't the case here though. If it were, I think it should be pointed out, but why not in a nice and constructive way? No reason not to do that, right?

Back