Acoustics in bedroom

Bass40

Hey, Im new to acoustics so Im not so sure on how to place it and which sizes and etc of foam to buy. So while searching on google to learn more about it , I also decided to ask HomeRecording. Basically this is a bedroom in my house that I cant " soundproof " knock down and add walls to. So Im going to add acoustic treatment to it for better mixing purposes. Below is the link to an image I made in photoshop basically outlining the room and it has the room measurements. I hope that helps. Because im not sure how much foam to buy to cover the room so that the acoustics is effect.

http://www.aronlex.com/images/display.jpg

^ Thats the image I made in photoshop. Will actually pictures help more?

I may be wrong, Bass, but I don't think anyone here is going to recommend treating your room with foam. I suggest that you run a search in this forum on the words "rigid fiberglass." Also read this Web page carefully: http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html.

Panels made of rigid fiberglass will give you a lot more bang for your buck than foam. There are many people in this forum who've made their own panels, including me, so there's plenty of useful info here. In fact, if you can wait another two or three days, I should posting a series of pictures here showing how I made my panels. That could be especially useful to you since your bedroom is almost a mirror image of my studio.

By the way, are you converting the bedroom to a studio, or is it going to continue to serve as a bedroom, too? Also, it would help us advise you if you added furniture and equipment to your drawing.

Hey thanks for replying. Im interested in making the rigid fiberglass after this post im going to search for forum on information on it.

I updated the image at the top. It has the furniture in it, which contains a bed , a desk w/monitors and keyboard/drumachines. But all that can be moved into a better area of the forum if needed for the treament.

Thanks

Bass40 said:
I updated the image at the top. It has the furniture in it, which contains a bed , a desk w/monitors and keyboard/drumachines. But all that can be moved into a better area of the forum if needed for the treament.
Does the bed have to stay in the room? The best place for your mixing position, I believe, is right in front of the window. But to get your desk over there you're going to need to lose the bed. If the bed has to stay, I'd suggest leaving the desk where it is but angling it to face directly into the corner. That will give you some symmetry at the mixing position.

Also, what's the scoop on that closet? Do you need it for storage? If it's packed with clothes, you can open the doors while recording to get a little sound absorption from the closet's contents. But have you considered removing the doors completely to add more space to the room? You didn't answer my question about whether or not the room's going to do double-duty, so I'm not sure what suggestions to make.

Like I said, I've got a studio that's a slightly larger mirror image of your room. I gained a little over 16 sq. ft. of usable space (and ambiance) just by pulling off the closet doors. If you need that bedroom to be a bedroom, however, that's not going to work for you.

Hey thanks for replying.

Yea this room will have to still hold as a bedroom. Until I get things sorted out my garage then I wouldnt have my studio in this bedroom. But its going to be a while for the garage so I have to do it in this bedroom.

About the closet, yes its filled with clothes lol, to many clothes .. The doors are not exactly open doors like a regular door would, They actually slide open.. really doesnt take up room.

I do also think it will be better to move the desk into a corner like you stated.
About treating the room .. How would I find more information on the rigid fiberglass.

Bass40 said:
About treating the room .. How would I find more information on the rigid fiberglass.
Well, first you're going to have to lose that aversion you seem to have to using the search engine. Try these posts to get started:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=147777&highlight=rigid+fiberglass

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=149763&highlight=rigid+fiberglass+room+treatment

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=143273&highlight=panel+placement

Bass40 said:
Hey thanks for replying.

Yea this room will have to still hold as a bedroom. Until I get things sorted out my garage then I wouldnt have my studio in this bedroom. But its going to be a while for the garage so I have to do it in this bedroom.

About the closet, yes its filled with clothes lol, to many clothes .. The doors are not exactly open doors like a regular door would, They actually slide open.. really doesnt take up room.

I do also think it will be better to move the desk into a corner like you stated.
Ok, First of all pay attention to the stuff about building your own panels with semi-rigid fiberglass or rock wool. Since the bed can't move can you switch the position of the keyboard and desk. You really don't want to be in a corner since you get way for first reflections from the one side than the other.

As for the closet, just take off the doors completely. A rack of clothers makes fro a pretty good absorber.

Hey all thanks for replying. I have a couple of more questions. Do you have any suggestions or ideas on how I should move the bed or desk around?

Also Im looking into rigid fiberglass hence I never did it before, if I was to get foam looking at the measurements of my room in the image above how much of it would I need and where should I put it for it to be effective?

Thanks alot.

Back