acoustic/vocal micing

grinder said:
Looking for suggestions for positioning a single mic, to record acoustic guitar and vocals. Couldn't find anything in a search. Thanks, Grinder
I usually use a mic about 12 to 18" out, forehead high, aimed slightly down, towards the guitar. Angle up for more voice, angle down for more guitar.

Harvey Gerst said:
I usually use a mic about 12 to 18" out, forehead high, aimed slightly down, towards the guitar. Angle up for more voice, angle down for more guitar.

Thanks, I'll try it.

Big Kenny said:
what kind of mic? guitar?

I don't know. My cousin is recording his mom and her friend, jammin'. His Mom will be singing and the other lady plays and sings. He is recording to a two channel tape deck, probably with 'karaoke' mics. I'm busy that day or I would do it for him with my multi track and some better mics.

If you're trying to do acoustic guitar and vocals at the same time, try AKG 414's as they have the deepest null to their figure 8 patterns of any mics I have ever used. Point the first 414 at the guitar so the voice is deep in the null of the mic, point the second 414 at the voice so the guitar is deep in the null of the second mic... the two mics usually end up at around a 90' angle to each other.

This isn't necessarily as much about "opulence of audio" as it is about gaining separation between voice and guitar. The theory being that you can dick around with the audio later, but you can't achieve separation later.

Best of luck.

Back