Acoustic type song - "Sunday Best." Comments?

stopstartstall

Just written a newish song, and I'm particularly proud of it. Comments on the recording as well as the general song would be appreciated!

link to soundclick - "Sunday Best"

Guitar was recorded mono with a Rode NT1a. I have a pair of Naiants that I usually use to record acoustic gtr in stereo but I play this song lap style so I put the Rode slightly above the gtr facing down, and I think it sounds pretty good. Vox were recorded thru the Rode as well.

Nice song! I started to imagine other instruments providing backing, but just decided it sounds really good with just what's there now.

I like the guitar sound and the vocal sound individually, but together, they're fighting for space some -- you may be able to address this by hollowing out some space with eq. Or if you decide to retrack at some point, maybe try a different vocal mic that gives a little more upper mids?

I wish songs like that came to me at 1AM

Thanks a lot for the comment! I'm looking into other vocal mics, but as a poor student I'm very much restricted by budget but it's definately something to think about! I'll have a play with some eq plugs and see what I can do.

Thanks again!

Nice song. I don't really have any comments on the mix, I'd rather just enjoy the song for what it is. Are you tapping the guitar at the end for a little percussion, it sounds great. Very nice vocals.

Nice song. I don't really have any comments on the mix, I'd rather just enjoy the song for what it is. Are you tapping the guitar at the end for a little percussion, it sounds great. Very nice vocals.

Thanks! yeah that's me bashing on the guitar, lol. I play drums as well, and I always end up tapping out beats where I can.

Good work. Intelligent lyrics.

I'd roll off the gtr a little under 200 Hz.

Thanks! I was worried the lyrics were a little vague, heh. I'll try eqing that a little more.

I play this song with the guitar flat in my lap facing up... like you'd play a lap steel guitar. Like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mejqkmYrRlw.
I don't usually play this way, it's just with this one I have a capo across half the frets cuz it's hard to fret the notes I want and reach the bass notes that change since I have little hands.

It sounds more complicated than it is lol.

Back