Acoustic Treatment

sixways

We finally got moved into our new home this week and I now have a great big room for my home studio. The problem, ECHO ECHO ECHO....my room is 20' X 30' with 8' ceilings, my studio set up at one end the other end has an upolstered couch, chair, and love seat. Walls are sheet rock. The room is the only room I have available and is used for tracking and mixing. I do have 2 fairly large closets that could be used for isolation. They are carpeted with very little reflection. The room seems very loud as it is right now.

Question is, acoustic treatment...where would I put it? Is there a cheaper alternative over auralex foam. Thanks for any comments or suggestions...more info available if needed.

rigid acoutic fiberglass panels (look up 703), also acoustical ceiling tiles are made of the same material only thinner, stip off the plastic barrier on the face side and voila, very thin panels(you would need many to fill a frame), in wooden frames (3 - 6" in depth) covered with some tasty cloth.
hung on the ceiling, and some walls.
anothe rsuggestion - hard floor, soft ceiling (proper respects to Ethan Winer).
check out john sayers & ethan winers websites.
best of luck
cheers
C>

Put 4-6" rigid fiberglass panels (preferably framed as shown) covered with breathable fabric in each corner, or as many as you can, of your room for bass absorbsion. Have your desk in the middle along one wall of the room, preferably on the shorter wall, spaced out(unsure how much)from the wall. Cover the back wall in 2-4" absorbers like suggested for bass traps, and put one on each side wall in the first reflection points and an unframed one above you mixing position in the first relfection point. Also put one(thick 4-6") behind the speakers on the wall to absorb bass frequencies from thee backs of the speakers. This is standard acoustic practice for a budget control room. Check the attached pics.

Attachments

• absorber frames.GIF
    absorber frames.GIF
    4 KB · Views: 142
  • typical control acoustics.GIF
    typical control acoustics.GIF
    3.1 KB · Views: 56
Consider yourself lucky to have a nice large space to work with. The downside is that a larger room requires more material to bring it under control. If done properly, you can get that 'big' sound that is SO hard to get in smaller spaces.

Set your mix station along the narrower wall so the speakers fire along the long dimension. Set everything up about a foot off center (desk, monitors, chair, etc.). This will keep you out of width nulls but still be relatively symmetric. Put your head at 38% of the room length from the front wall (wall behind the monitors). Adjust monitor spacing and distance for best imaging.

Treat as many vertical corners as you can floor to ceiling with 6" of 703 or 4" of 8lb mineral wool (or solid 703 if you have the budget).

Hit the reflection points on the side walls and ceiling with 2" 703 panels spaced off the wall 2". Put a nice slab of 6" 703 on the back wall (other end from the mix) - maybe 4'x4' centered behind your head but on the back.

That isn't enough but it will get you a good start and deal with a lot of issues without breaking the bank.

Good luck!

Bryan

Back