Acoustic Treatment Tips

TheLemonAid

Hello All,

I'm looking into acoustically treating my room. I've already done reasonable research on the topic, but I think it's always good to see if you guys have any recommendations from your own experience, as I've come across some questions and also because acoustic foam companies might be trying to convince me to buy bass traps that I don't need and what not. Sticking to the principles of us home-producers, I'm on a limited budget and luckily I know there are some good deals for acoustic foam on ebay...

The room I'm going to treat is small (9'3"x10'11" to be precise) and I have a pair of the M-Audio BX5 monitors (No subwoofer) that are officially capable of producing a freq. range of 56Hz to 22khz. I will be using the room both for recording (acoustic guitar and vocals only pretty much) and mixing, there is a cupboard build into the room that I'll use as a vocal booth. What's also important is that one walls actually consists out of windows only and that the walls seem to be made of a rather thin material (I'm pretty sure it's not dense brick).

Now, I know the general guideline is to cover around 70% of the reflective sufraces. But what are the best places to place the foam? Should I get wedges, pyramids or a mix of both? Do I really need bass traps, since I don't have a sub? Would I also require a diffuser on the ceiling?

Also, what are the problems and the solutions you've come across your self when you were treating your homestudio acoustically?

Thank you for any tips you guys have for me! They're all already very appreciated.

Have a great day everyone!

I've already done reasonable research on the topic,

Obviously not enough. :)

Foam is the last thing you need. I'd go as far as to say that there is no such thing as "acoustic" foam. Those companies stick the word "acoustic" in front of it, but that doesn't make them useful.

The ironic thing is that you DO need bass traps, but you DON'T want foam bass traps. Foam should only be used as spot treatment, if needed, after you've properly treated your room using the proper materials, like rigid fibreglass, rockwool, or other similar materials usually used for insulation.

Most, if not all, rooms need bass traps in the corners at the very least. After that, you would need absorption at specific spots,like above your listening area and/or at the first reflection points.

Proper room treatment doesn't need to cost a lot if you have minimal DIY skills. But don't buy foam to cover 70% of your room. The sound will end up being a dead nightmare.

I know there are some good deals for acoustic foam on ebay.

There's also crap foam masquerading as good foam, so buyer beware.

what are the best places to place the foam? Should I get wedges, pyramids or a mix of both? Do I really need bass traps, since I don't have a sub? Would I also require a diffuser on the ceiling?

This short article explains the basics in plain English:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

Most, if not all, rooms need bass traps in the corners at the very least. After that, you would need absorption at specific spots,like above your listening area and/or at the first reflection points..

Exactly.

Also, 70% of surfaces is a literally insane amount of wall space to cover. That would sound awful! Even if it were proper treatment, the room would not really be too comfortable to work in.
Acoustical Room Advice | The picture on this page shows what I believe to be a quite optimal amount of absorption, and if anything, closer to the max amount of absorption I'd want in a room.

Back