Acoustic Treatment Opinions/ Options.

Jason James

Hey Guys,
First of all I've been reading some old posts and thanks to all who have contributed, great info on here. O.K. I'm about ready to get the acoustic treatment going but have a few ?'s for you guys.

1st. My main live room (18'x20' approx. but not really square, vaulted ceilings and wood floor) sounds nice when tracking gtrs, drums, even vocals. There's no treatment anywhere but I know it probably could benefit from some treatment. What do you guys suggest?

2nd I've decided to use Owens Corning 103 or similar which I understand is better than "auralex" and cheaper. First question is, I read Ethan Winters "how to build a better bass trap" and am thinking of doing something similar, is there another approach that uses the same method that doesn't require the plywood front. (It would be cheaper and easier to make, but if it doesn't work as well then I know what I must do) It seems like I saw some where that you could just mount the 103 to the wall with burlap over it for high absorbtion and mount it on 1x4s with an airspace behind and cover with burlap for low absorbtion. How about 3" 103 in a 4" frame with burlap for the lows? Any recomendations here?

Next, I'm thinking about doing a vocal booth in a 5x6x8'high closet. First of all other than when it's needed for Isolation from a band why not use the control room or main tracking room to do vocals, ac gtrs etc? What kind of treatment does one want for a vocal booth? Generally totally absorbed or do you still want some natural reverberation?

As for the control room, I'm planning on building ethans traps etc so I think I have that covered.

I guess my questions are more of, what should a good control room, Tracking room, and vocal booth sound like? I mostly record rock with big drum sounds etc.

Oh yeah one more thing. How about Diffusion? Auralex and all these other companies sell these products yet mostly what you hear about here is absorbtion.
Thanks for any help.
J-3

Last edited:
Jason,

> I saw some where that you could just mount the 103 to the wall <

In case you missed it, here's a link to my latest article which goes into much more detail than my original bass traps piece:

www.recording.org/users/acoustics

I show other ways to trap bass including using 703 alone, though that will not be as effective as real bass traps with panels.

--Ethan

Back