Acoustic: The Soldier

incursio

This is a remake of a tune I recorded at Woodhouse Studios (Germany) in 1989 when I was the lead singer of Shadow (a heavy metal band). As the album (Iron Umbrella) was released on vinyl in Europe, I am still trying to get a decent digital copy of the original tune. When I do, I'll post it here for comparison.

At any rate, the tune is called The Soldier. All feedback welcome!

Cheers.
Scott

Unfortunately the link you posted does not contain any music...at least not when I tried it.

Must have been a net snafu 'cause it worked just now....anyway good song! Liked the lyrics, arrangement and chorus hook. Very good vocal performance. The recording quality could be better but the feeling in the song comes across just fine. Do you think you could do a remake instead of making a digital copy?

Thanks, mac.

The lyrics were mostly written by my old bandmates, although this particular arrangement is mine.

Specifically, with regard to the recording quality - what was lacking from your vantage point? This particular version was cleaned up a bit and normalized in SoundForge, after being dumped over from my AW4416. I know the guitar was probably "boomy" in a few spots ... again, just a rough draft at this point.

Its funny you should ask about a possible remake or remix of the original. Just this week, and after around 5 years of searching, I managed to track down our old producer in Germany - who (hopefully) still has the original reels (yes, reels!). If he does have them, I am booking some mastering time here in Atlanta for a few sessions. I spoke with a collector last week who paid $200 for an original Shadow/Iron Umbrella album - lol. If memory serves me correctly, we were giving them away back then to anyone who wanted one - ain't life a bitch?

Cheers.
Scott

Yeah...it was the "boomy" guitar. The quality sounded a little fuzzy/muddy. That's why I thought if you had a chance to re-do it on 2001 equipment...why not?

Ah, let me clarify! :)

This was done on 2001 equipment, as a quick take on a new arrangement for the tune. In my haste to lay it down, I didn't realize that the condensor I had on the guitar was aiming dead-into the soundhole :( Yes, the guitar is definitely too boomy. I came up with a slightly clearner version using SoundForge and some creative EQ'ing to reduce the low-end, but as you know, boomy is boomy, and ain't no EQ gonna solve it without ripping up something else along the way.

I do plan on redoing the tune proper though ...

The original tune was a heavy metal version - thats what I wanted to post for comparison - hehe.

Cheers.
Scott

Back