Acoustic String Guage

harphunt

What do you all use? I've historically used "ultra lights" - .10s, but I've been trying out "lights" - .11s - but they play "harder", but may record more "throaty." Its hard to tell without side by side comps. Any preferences and why? I am interested in your opinions.

PEACE

I've never used anything under 12s - nor would I.

It depends upon what guitar and style you play, but I do a lot of fingerstyle, some of it quite quick, and I find that lighter strings, apart from sounding "lighter," bounce around too much when doing the fast stuff.

Bearing in mind that with an acoustic guitar, the amount of sound you generate is in direct proportion to how hard you hit the strings, unlike electrics, loose strings just don't work for me.

I also tune down a bit to alternative tunings and do that with 11s or 10s on and you'll probably have some buzzing happening.

Cheers

I like the .011. I only play my acoustic at church every other Sunday - so the lighter strings are easier on me. I'm usually playing .009/.010 on my electrics. I started using the Alchemy coated type and have really liked those for brightness and playability.

It's a Seagull with a K&K pickup system, then to a Baggs Preamp/DI system and then off to the board. Live sound is very nice - a friend of mind played it one Sunday when I was doing sound and I was extremely please with the it's sound - was much better than his Taylor (but he tends to not change strings) or any acoustic for that matter... But it was MY guitar afterall :rolleyes:

For recording, I do a combo of the K&K and condensor mic. Sounds OK - but that's cause I haven't recorded it enough to get the set up correct.

I did used to use the .012 - but it just wasn't as much fun to play.

Tonewise - Use what you like. But if you're worried about the audience - have someone else play it and see what it sounds like.

I prefer the bluegrass sets. Most of the major string makers make a set labeled as Bluegrass. They'll be heavier on the bottom and lighter on the top. For example, in the John Pearse Bluegrass set, the strings run 12-16-24-35-45-56. I sometimes use alternate tunings and the heavier low strings give me a little more flexibility without having to go heavy on the high end.

And no, I don't play bluegrass music. :cool:

I use medium guage strings (.013's) and have always found that most every acoustic guitar sounds better with them versus lights or ultralights (at least to me). Tried using lights a while back and found that, plugged in, it really doesn't make a difference in the sound. But they sound so much better unplugged with the mediums that I've stuck with them. As far a playability goes, I've also found that a well set up guitar with medium's plays just as easy as with light's. No doubt though that bending is a little tougher.

Back