[Acoustic noob] - What IS Auralex good for?

Drummer4Life05

Say Something Smart!
Now, I know in order to treat bass in a room, you can slap some rigid fiberglass in a corner or corners of your room which will absorb the bass frequencies from bouncing around and muddying up your monitoring signal.
And, from what I've read, you can also use rigid fiberglass in smaller squares on walls for midrange absorption. Is that correct?

In any case, what would Auralex foam be good for then? And why do some of the "professional" studios I see have foam padding on some of the walls of the control room? Could it be because they're not "professional" recording studios!? :p
And, is it more important to keep the bass under control first, and then worry about the other frequencies?

I'm stil learning here, and I'd like to treat my room so I can get the best sound out of it I can. And with rigid fiberglass and Auralex so darn cheap, I was wondering which would be best.

Thanks,
Justin :cool:

Auralex and other foams are mid to high range absorbers, much as you would use thinner 703 panels for. I think that people eiter like the look of the foam or the simple glue-on installation.

Justin,

> is it more important to keep the bass under control first, and then worry about the other frequencies? <

Both are important. For the complete story, have a look at the Acoustics FAQ, second in the list on my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan. I've looked through that FAQ many times -- all of which it was way over my head. I think I'll have a re-read today.
Also, would rigid fiberglass be able to treat most frequencies in a room? So, if I used thicker (2 inches) in the corners, it would help bass response. And if I used thinner (1/2" or 1") it would help treat the mid frequencies?

Thanks,
Justin

Auralex does a *free* room evaluation. You fax them a worksheet, and they send you suggestions on how to treat the room. I haven't done that yet, but I am planning to do so soon. Have any of you tried this? I'm wondering if the Auralex is worth getting (but given the room acoustics, I can't imagine that it will hurt).

Justin,

> it was way over my head. I think I'll have a re-read today. <

It's not really that complicated but, okay, you might have to read it a few times.

> if I used thicker (2 inches) in the corners <

Make that 4 inches thick and you'll be much better off. When you don't need to absorb to as low a frequency, like the first reflection points on the side walls and ceiling, then 2 inches is thick enough.

--Ethan

Right on. Thanks Ethan.

You're right, that article wasn't too complicated, I just didn't get it the first time. :p

Thanks Ethan!! :cool:

Back