Acoustic Guitar Vocal Song - Positively Ignored

To me the voice has an edgy and thin quality. Perhaps overuse of an enhancer or something. Maybe it's the mic. For me this acoustic style needs the voice to have a natural quality as does the guitar.
ac

All that I'm using on the vox is compression and eq that is setup: 2.3 boost at 5.08khz -1.5 cut at 2khz,and a roll off at 43hz. Thanks for the tip though I will try to go back and change it. I already said no can do on the autotune rokket.

it's a cool tune... a little cliche' for the times, but that's OK.
The guitars are out of balance; they make my head spin. Not only is one louder than the other, they aren't both doing the same thing, and in this sparse of a tune, they really really need to be skin tight, or it feels like the rug has been pulled out from under you. They are first pulling this way, and then that way.... it's very distracting. Now, if you put a rhythm track under these guitars, it might work.

Good luck!

~Shawn

I like it -- the vocals do sound a little like there's a high pass filter going on (way north of 43hz). I picked up a little metronome click on the first pause right before the vocals come in.

I don't really mind the difference in guitar lines, except that the gain could be better balanced like eyema says, and there's at least one place where a chord is left to ring/decay in the right channel, but cut off in the left channel, and that's disorienting (I'm listening with headphones).

Long live autotune! :D

Thanks everyone for all the great comments. Here is an updated version. I took off the high pass filter on the vox, cut some at 2.18khz, and boosted a bit at 8khz. The guitar I took off a somewhat heavy high pass filter I had and boost 3db at 80hz. Antichef and Eyema, is it the left or right that your hearing that is unbalenced. Yes I'm aware of the metronome but he doesn't want to go back and recorded since this is just a small personal side project. The second mix is on the previous link.

is the autotune on graphic mode? it sounds like it's still too heavy in the second mix. maybe if you draw it in only where it needs to be.

yes. no his request as i said before

Maybe the "something that can't be ignored" in this case is in fact a reference to the Autotune... :)

Seriously here, it's the vox that need the working on, but the parametes under which you've asked for feedback are to narrow to give you anything constructive; there's not enough here to work with, just thew guitar bits and vocal bits, there's not a lot to do in the first place. But yeah, the voice is a little thin, I'd be making a little hump ~250Hz, and I'd be trying to bury the autotune in another texture if you had it to work with, but you don't; that's one of the problems with it in a sparse soundfield; too easy to spot.

Back