Acoustic Guitar Recording

Kevin Blight

I am using a Sure SM58 (for vocals mostly), but as it's the only halfway decent mic I have, I also use it for recording the old Acoustic. I use fingerstyle quite a bit, and I have a sort of percussive style, but being the inveterate fingenail muncher that I am, I don't get a lot of volume without flatpicking.

This means I have to crank up the gain to get a decent signal and with that comes our old enemy, Captain Hiss and his henchmen the boys, crackle & pop. What's my best approach to get more clean signal other than getting a beefier microphone? I have looked into condenser mics, but I'm not sure which way to go, maybe pre-amping before the recorder. Do Condensers provide more signal or are they basically better engineered (in principle) microphones and quieter? I know getting a good acoustic sound is not easy, but I could use some advice. I want to do more acoustic guitar recordings. Cheers Guys.

1) don't bite your fingernails
2) don't bite your fingernails
3) don't bite your fingernails

4) what are you plugging your mic into?
5) how are you micing (where is the mic relative to the instrument?)

I used an SM58 for 6 months or so before I got a condensor, and managed okay with it. Not the best sound, but I avoided the hiss problems just fine.

You need a decent preamp. No question.

A condensor makes a world of difference

Kevin Blight said:
Do Condensers provide more signal or are they basically better engineered (in principle) microphones and quieter? I know getting a good acoustic sound is not easy, but I could use some advice. I want to do more acoustic guitar recordings. Cheers Guys.

Condenser mics are more sensitive and better at picking up the high freqencies that are a very important part of an acoustic guitar sound.

They do require phantom power , most mixers and mic preamps supply phantom power.

The SM58 will work but almost any condenser mic will work better because fingerstyle playing is relatively quiet and you need a more sensitive mic. I don't know your budget but something like a Studio Projects B1 condenser mic might be a good choice at the lower end. Oktava MC012 is another good one.

I can get plenty of volume playing fingerstyle without fingernails, as do many players. Length of fingernails should not be a problem.

I'm recording on an Yamaha AW16G. I held off biting the fingernails for a few months and didn't like playing fingerstyle with nails very much. It felt uncomfortable and awkward, but with no nails I can't get 'zingy' basslines - so I tried thumb picks and didn't really get on with those either. Horses, for courses I guess.

I do get a good tone, I have the mic on a stand and angle it toward the fret joint of the guitar 'away' from the sound hole. My guitar is an Ibanzez dreadnought acoustic that I've had for nigh on 20 years. Sounds very nice but the hiss in quiet passages is letting me down, and I want to do more single acoustic material.

I have to look into preamps and condensers more.

Acoustic Recording

From averaging out alot of these inputs posted:
I'm coming up with a cheap, but sweet home recording setup for acoustic:

Basic 101: $0- 100
SM57

Basic 102: $100-500
SP B-1 Large Dia Mic ~$80
DPM3 Stereo Mic Pre ~$150
FMR's RNC (compressor) ~$175

Basic 103: ????????hmmmm

Graduation:
Blackbird singing in the dead of night....
Martin, Nuemann U87, Tube compressors.....

Re: Acoustic Recording

COOLCAT said:
From averaging out alot of these inputs posted:
I'm coming up with a cheap, but sweet home recording setup for acoustic:

Basic 101: $0- 100
SM57

Basic 102: $100-500
SP B-1 Large Dia Mic ~$80
DPM3 Stereo Mic Pre ~$150
FMR's RNC (compressor) ~$175

Basic 103: ????????hmmmm

Graduation:
Blackbird singing in the dead of night....
Martin, Nuemann U87, Tube compressors.....

Forget SM57 for recording acoustic. I never use it. For the same price ($75) you can get either a Marshall MXL603s or the Oktava MC012. These are both fabulous mics for acoustic guitar IMO--light years ahead of the SM57 (save it for guit cabs, toms, and vox).

So, my Basic 101 for recording acoustic:

2 MXL603s or MC012 ($150)
1 DMP3 ($150)
Total $300

Anything less and you are cheating yourself (and wasting money, IMO).

Later you can add the RNC, which is a good idea.

yeaaa

RNC...and DPM3...keeps getting a go ahead...
SP B1..$79!! is mentioned as good too....

it's amazes me...i've been recording and reading magazines and never heard of these units? let alone had the time to compare all of them.

what little time i have, i prefer to be writing songs and recording.

this web has become my favorite....back to reading! i mean work..

Back