Acoustic guitar effects - most often used.

Chuckschwandt

What effects are most often used on acoustic guitars - for strumming and picking ? Is there a processor that rules in this area as
well ?

Compression, reverb and EQ.

You can buy separate units or buy a combination unit. Nobody here seems too clear about whether separate or combination units are better. Different brands sound different, and you get different opinions about their relative worth. In other words, in answer to your second question - nope.

Use your ears above all else, it's what you like the sound of. Try as much as possible out before commiting to anything.

OK...thank you dobro & Krysto. Specifically speaking, would you say the the silky warm strumming sound comes from a soft knee compression or heavy ? What type of reverb? What cuts or boosts on EQ? - I don't think I've ever heard a guitar sound that good naturally, but it sounds great cutting through a mix. The eagles used this sound. I hear it in a more refined way nowadays.
When trying to explain this to a studio engineer, they only want equipment settings not expressions like "silky warm" - ha. So
your advise is very valuable and appreciated.

thanks,
Chuck

Artist web site http://www.chuckschwandt.com

I know what you mean. My acoustic guitar parts almost always get lost in the mix. I just figured it was something I'd always have to live with as long as I was recording in my basement.

Hi twist,

As we both know, the acoustic guitar is a unique instrument to record. Some have it mastered, and I hope to find their help. I believe we can get closer to what the pros are getting, even in a basement. We just have to keep digging for details. I believe "it is not the equipment you have, but how well you use it". Have you ever heard that statement before. The reason I believe this is because I have seen improvement over a period of years using the same equipment. Trail and error, help from others, and good songs do add up to good results.

take care, and keep trying,
Chuck

[This message has been edited by Chuckschwandt (edited 07-31-2000).]

delay is a common effect - but it must be in time with the track. If you don't know the tempo as it relates to time try this. - get a stop watch with 100's displayed i.e.

The start beating the fours - 1, 2 , 3, 4, and start the stop watch on a down beat - now count 11 beats stopping in the eleventh. The stop watch will now read milliseconds like so 0004.50 which is a 450msec delay - other delays at this tempo are 225 and 112.5 etc. If you put the eights delay (225) on the guitar it really livens it up - just a touch!

cheers

I have gotten some really great acoustic sounds out of these things. JoeMeek Pre, Good Mic, Verb(Very Little), Compression and my favorite Magneto plugin. That will give you a sound so warm it will melt in your ears.. ;-)

[This message has been edited by ShakesTheClown (edited 07-31-2000).]

Other than a great guitar, a couple crispy mics (AT 4033, Neumann KM84), a good, "live" room, a clean preamp, it's simple things like getting new, high quality strings that help get your sound "there".

Compression is great and necessary for acoustic, but don't forget the simple things.

Rev E

Thanks John,

Delay does sound like a great idea. I never
did know the mathmatics however. Maybe I can now make this work for me.

Thanks much,
Chuck

Hi Shakestheclown,

Which of these units mentioned would you say
gave you the greatest amount of help in warming your tracks ? - What is a magneto ? -I've heard the Joe Meek stuff is awesome.

Thank you for your input
Chuck

Hi Rev E,

Yes, I can relate to those ideas for sure.
I do wrestle with the the decision of a dead or live room. - I don't like the commonly offending frequencies around the 800HZ to 1.5 KHZ on the acoustic guitar. When these are cut, it seems to warm, but I hate to cut if I can get the sound from room ambience,
as you suggested. - My signal presently goes through a Neumann M147 large condensor mic, to a Belarai preamp, and directly to an analog reel. I record totally dry. I add effects and compression on playback. Maybe a mix up of the gear may help ? Those around me say the guitar sounds great, but I've heard better on recordings. I'm after the perfectionist results - ughhhh.

Thank you for your words,
Chuck
http://www.chuckschwandt.com

[This message has been edited by Chuckschwandt (edited 08-01-2000).]

Hi John,

Your delay advise was a great one, and I've shared it with others on the site too. My lexicon MPX100 unit has a auto find for delay - so wonderful. I just send the signal into the unit, hold the tap button for 2 seconds and it is right
there. I use just a touch of delay, and thickener from my microverb. When I hear the delay, I back off the liveliness till it is so very soft - perrrrfect....

Thanks,
Chuck

Back