Acoustic Guitar Condenser Microphone

Double

I’m looking for a small diaphragm condenser microphone (maybe a set) to record acoustic guitar. I would also like to use them as overheads mikes when recording a drum kit. The price range would around $300 - $400 per mike, but any suggestion would be welcome, especially if it is less expensive.

Reactions: SRR
What's with all these goddamn acoustic guitar playas comin' up in here asking what's the best mic for acoustic guitar??? C'mon people there is no best mic for acoustic guitar! Every acoustic guitar is different, so every mic is going to reproduce that sound different. The only way to know is to bring your guitar into a music store - actually, you need to also construct a replica of your home studio right there in the store - and play through all their mics till you find one that sounds best. You know I think it's a damn shame that this culture of "musicians", if you can even call them that, think they can sound like Dashboard Confessional, with a $300 mic. Must be because they're all white....yeah, that's it...

[/end sarcasm]

andyhix said:
What's with all these goddamn acoustic guitar playas comin' up in here asking what's the best mic for acoustic guitar??? C'mon people there is no best mic for acoustic guitar! Every acoustic guitar is different, so every mic is going to reproduce that sound different. The only way to know is to bring your guitar into a music store - actually, you need to also construct a replica of your home studio right there in the store - and play through all their mics till you find one that sounds best. You know I think it's a damn shame that this culture of "musicians", if you can even call them that, think they can sound like Dashboard Confessional, with a $300 mic. Must be because they're all white....yeah, that's it...

[/end sarcasm]

Wow!!! Lighten up sir. First of all, he didn't specifically ask for the best. Just a recommendation. So, I recommended the SM81. It's a mic that has worked well for me on MANY different acoustic guitars, in MANY different rooms, and in VARIOUS weather conditions. I have also heard others say it works for them too. So it seemed like a good place to start. Also, I'm not Catholic, so could you explain this "dashboard confessional" to me?

andyhix said:

[/end sarcasm]
Sounds like somebody is stepping on your coke supply just a little bit to much, but thanks for the commentary, we all like a joke now and then.

As for the rest or you, thanks for the recommendations.

andyhix said:
...with a $300 mic. Must be because they're all white....yeah, that's it...

[/end sarcasm]

i kind of read this as a play on/satire of the reaction to similar posts (namely the rap mic posts)-- particularly the "[/end sarcasm]" part. maybe i'm alone in this? :confused:

edit: though there's no way the poor guy who made the op would have had that perspective! :)

Timothy Lawler said:
This has been discussed a lot. Instead of relying on whatever answers happen to pop up in this thread, perhaps look here:

The HR Search Button

Tim
it'd be cool if there was a sticky at the top of each equipment forum that linked to these kinds of questions.

In your price range, you could get a used matched pair of Josephson C42s or a used pair of AT-4051s or 4053s (I don't think they match them). I have all of them and they work very well for acoustic guitar. The ATs are flatter mics.

Another possibility is a pair of GT-44s. They are tube MD condenser mics that sound great on acoustic instruments. Used they run about $200-250 each used. The GT AM-40 is the same mic. I believe GT also makes a current version of this mic. Capsules are switchable on the GT and AT mics. I have a couple of these and use them alot on acoustic guitar and mandolin.

The Peluso CEMC6 is also supposed to be a very nice mic. They list at $800 for a matched pair. Haven't used them so I can't give a first hand testimonial. Capsules are switchable.

Finally, Beyer makes a variety of SD mics. The MCE93 is a decent SD mic that can be found used relatively inexpensively. They listed for $500 each and I picked up 2 pairs at an average of about $225 for each pair. See http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun99/articles/beyermce.htm Sometimes higher end Beyer SD mics come up used and sell for cheap because they are relatively unknown.

Also see:
http://emusician.com/mics/emusic_smokin_condensers/

I have had really good luck using LDCs in M/S for acoustic. I typically use an AT4050 for the S mic and an ADK A51 for the M. I guess my suggestion would be more to look to LDCs than SDCs. BUT, half the planet uses SDCs for this, so what do I know?

How about a pair of AT4033's? Great on lots of stuff. The MK-012's (with all the caps) are cool. You might be able to find used KM-184's in that range.

Double said:
I’m looking for a small diaphragm condenser microphone (maybe a set) to record acoustic guitar... $300 - $400 per mike
Acoustic guitar recording varies wildly. To get a realistic answer to your question you'd really have to be more specific:

Guitar tone - bassy dreadnought?, balanced small body?, twangy roundback?

Room characteristics - small bedroom or 30' x 20' room w/20' cathedral ceilings?, treated w/bass traps or reflection reducing panels?

Player - gentle fingerstyle soloist?, use metal fingerpicks or the flesh of the fingertip?, rhythm guitar used in a mix?, aggressive picking or light?

What mic's have you tried already and what did you like and not like about them?

Tim

Back