Acoustic Foam

TheGuardian

Stuff costs a fortune, and I need a bit of it. Any suggestions as to where I might get some for a reasonable price?

I've already tried the regular standby's.

THANKS!
Andrew

I just ordered some from foambymail.com last week (it should be in this week.) They also sell on ebay. Definitely cheaper than Auralex.

Hang out in the dumpster section of a good sized hospital (one with an ICU) and get the foam mattreses for free, they can't reuse them and the patients never want 'em. It's a little less dense than acustical foam but works as well. Watch out for those pesky urine stains though.

If cosmetics is not a key issue - a much, much more sanitary option to urine soaked foam mattresses ----------->

Go to a local upholstery shop and ask for any misc. foam they have left over for various jobs. Some may give it to you or some may sell you a bunch for a couple of bucks - and there are no urine stains (or other body fluids) anywhere to be found.

I use Aurolex since I on ocassion have paying customers, so the cosmetic issue is a concern. But for a "non-commercial" application this may work.

I have used these foam "remnants" from fabric shops to line several of my drum and keyboard cases.

What's wrong with urine-soaked, non-fire retardant, acoustically inferior foam in a hermetically sealed room full of potential electrical fires caused by too many things plugged into too few outlets? Seems like it'd just give things that "down-home, rootsy" kind of atmosphere - plus, if it all goes up in stinky flames, what better way to smoke that nearly fresh 'possum hind quarters you been savin' fer just the right occasion...

Silly knightfly, everybody knows a urine soaked mattress is by it's very nature, fire retardant.

I like the blue ones with the therapeutic fingers.

Ive got 8 huge... I dont know how many yards... of industrial grade foam padding for commerical carpet. 400 lbs a roll.
Im thinking about doubling this up and using it as a absorption material. hmmm I wonder?
want some :)

JMarcomb said:
Ive got 8 huge... I dont know how many yards... of industrial grade foam padding for commerical carpet. 400 lbs a roll.
Im thinking about doubling this up and using it as a absorption material. hmmm I wonder?
want some :)
is this Open Cell Foam?

here are some pictures of the foam I have..
I wonder how it would work???????

better than drywall I guess :)

pad.jpg

pad2.jpg

pad3.jpg

pad4.jpg

pad5.jpg

Thanks all. I'm mainly looking for 1 1/2" - 3" thick (non-urine or other bodiy fluid stained preferably) open cell foam. I'd like sheets, not tiles. My dimensions of coverage are:

Two sheets trimmed to 48"x84" - this is for the cool mobile baffle I made.

Two more sheets, one 84" x 84", the other 84" x 76" - for the walls around the drum area.

The price I'm being quoted, via Volunteer Foam & Padding ( http://www.volunteerfoam.com/acoustic.html ), is $199.75 delivered. Though I guess this is a relatively competetive price, I am trying to do a bit better. Down to the end of my immediate budget.....

Thanks subtractor for the thought, I do really appreciate it, though it's not what I'm going for.

Back