Acoustic Electric Pickup Broken

uhhuhhim

Hey everybody,

I have a major problem. I was going to plug my guitar into my recording equipment when I noticed that the entire pick up had come loose and had fallen into the guitar. The little nut or washer that was on the outisde of the guitar came off..the whole inside of the pick up is lose...Can someone tell me if this is fixable? It's a $400 guitar. I didn't bang it or hit it on anything. The entire pickup is lose.

Please let me know if this can be fixed.

Well, that isn't the pickup, it's the end pin jack, but yes, it is easily repairable. If you don't have the nuts any more, take it to a good repair shop. They should have the parts, and some (like mine) will fix it for nothing more than the cost of parts (sometimes, it is easier to just get the guitar out the door.)

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

By the way, is that screen name a reference to PJ Harvey? If so, cool!

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Hey light, thanks for responding so quickly.

I Have no idea what caused it. All the wires seem to be intact. There are about 4 washers and the little ring that went on the outside of the wood where the hole was. I tried to plug a chord into it and there was no response.

I can barely get my hand in there, so I'm wondering how they're going to fix it. What will they do?

And yes, PJ Harvey is awesome :)

uhhuhhim said:
Hey light, thanks for responding so quickly.

I Have no idea what caused it. All the wires seem to be intact. There are about 4 washers and the little ring that went on the outside of the wood where the hole was. I tried to plug a chord into it and there was no response.

I can barely get my hand in there, so I'm wondering how they're going to fix it. What will they do?

And yes, PJ Harvey is awesome :)

Well, I have a little rod with the shape of a plug ground on to one end which you can plug into the jack which makes it very easy to pull out. But that is something we made in the shop, so not everyone has one of those. The real trick to it is getting the nut on the outside tight enough, but that is just a matter of having the right tools.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Same thing happened to me. I had to take the strings off and reach into the soundhole and pull it back through. Took a little while.

Yeah, I haven't had much luck trying to thread it back into the hole so I could try to fix it myself, so I guess I'll have to take it somewhere. At least I know it's something that can be fixed.

uhhuhhim said:
Yeah, I haven't had much luck trying to thread it back into the hole so I could try to fix it myself, so I guess I'll have to take it somewhere. At least I know it's something that can be fixed.

Lucky thing you're not working through 'f holes' on an archtop. Now thats tricky! :D

I talked to a friend of mine last night who basically said it could be fixed as well, so I guess I have nothing to worry about. I also told him that the light doesn't come on when I plug it into the jack, which would mean they'd have to check the wires or re-solder something, right? It's still a bummer because I was actually going to record before I noticed what was up...

uhhuhhim said:
I also told him that the light doesn't come on when I plug it into the jack, which would mean they'd have to check the wires or re-solder something, right?

Maybe.

But you should use a mic when you are recording anyway. It will always sound better than a pickup. Even a cheap mic. Save the pickup for the stage.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

So, I got the pickup repositioned in the hole and secured it with the nut. I plugged it in and the light came on. However, when I tried to plug it into my recorder and amp, there was no feedback.

I'm so aggravated and pissed off. If it's not working correctly, then why does the red light come on? If there is no feedback, what is going on?

uhhuhhim said:
So, I got the pickup repositioned in the hole and secured it with the nut. I plugged it in and the light came on. However, when I tried to plug it into my recorder and amp, there was no feedback.

I'm so aggravated and pissed off. If it's not working correctly, then why does the red light come on? If there is no feedback, what is going on?

Take it to a good repair shop and have it looked at. Trying to chase down electronics problems long distance is a little like trying to bike down and unfamiliar mountain road in the fog. You'll almost certainly get something wrong, and someone might get killed.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

if it's not too late, before you go to a repair shop and everything, make sure it doesn't need a new battery!

Well, I plugged it into my regular amp a couple days ago and there was still no feedback, so I'm still not sure.

Back