Acoustic electric live

Mr. C

I was wondering if there is an optimal or preferred way to amplify an acoustic electric guitar in a live situation. For practice I just plug directly into the board. Would using a DI box make any difference, especially live, or using an amp made specifically for an acoustic?

I've never plugged straight into the board, but always via a multi effect pedal, in which I try to deal with some of the fundamental sonic awfulness that can happen with piezo pickups and PA systems... I generally run through a clean amp "sim" and EQ to pull some of the brittle highs down - I don't trust anonymous soundguy to get it right - plus I like a bit of reverb and delay and a few other things from time to time...:guitar:

I was wondering if there is an optimal or preferred way to amplify an acoustic electric guitar in a live situation. For practice I just plug directly into the board. Would using a DI box make any difference, especially live, or using an amp made specifically for an acoustic?

Does the guitar have a preamp in it? If so you're pretty safe to plug into whatever. If not then I would recommend a quality active DI or, as Armistice says, some other active device like a guitar preamp.

Get an Ovation and go straight to the board. As much as some people hate 'em that's what they're made for and they're good at it.

Yes, it does have a preamp. I actually think it sounds pretty good, but again that's during practice in a basement. I've just wondering what most people do, direct to board, DI, or acoustic amp.

Actually SBLou, I am looking to buy another acoustic. Mine is a Washburn D10SBKQ (or some such alphabet soup). I really like its tone. I tried some out at GC and wasn't really too impressed in my price range (around $500). I happened to be at a local mall and stopped in at a guitar shop I never go to and tried one of the Seagulls they had and just loved it. But I'm not quick to pull the trigger (ok, I don't actually have the $500 yet) so I'm more or less doing a little research still. Maybe an Ovation would impress me, but right now I'm really gassing for a Seagull.

Get an Ovation and go straight to the board. As much as some people hate 'em that's what they're made for and they're good at it.

Just any Ovation? No. Some sound great, some not so much. The best ones I've heard usually have the multiple sound holes in the upper bout. But a lot of them sound like the plastic they're made of.

Yes, it does have a preamp. I actually think it sounds pretty good, but again that's during practice in a basement. I've just wondering what most people do, direct to board, DI, or acoustic amp.

Most people do all sorts of things. With a preamp you're safe to go right into the board, but if you have to go through a snake then a DI is probably necessary. But that's generally the sound guy's job to provide. At least with a preamp you don't have to be quite as picky with the DI, a passive will do.

I'd certainly give one of these a try if considering a new guitar, they are not expensive and have the pickup at the neck which is magnetic. I already own acoustics with the piezo pickups but wanted something different and found one of these. It's the Ibanez Talman TCM50. Obviously the body size is not going to deliver the richness of tone like a deeper bodied acoustic when unplugged, but through an amp it's a really usable sound which does not suffer the sonic annoyances which a lot of other electro-acoustic guitars possess. I use mine in conjunction with pedal just so I can have some reverb and eq which I am in control of when playing out. The pickup is adjustable much like on an electric guitar hence the user can get their own balance in respect of raising or lowering the angle of the pickup. I've played it through a small tube amp and cabinet and sometimes I use one of those general use amp/speaker cabinets with a number of inputs and some effects on board which can be bought for keyboard/vocal/ect use. To my surprise the amplified sound has the full on acoustic guitar tonality I get from my other acoustics with piezo pickups without the handling noises from the body or any rasp to the notes. Really pleased with it for the money, roughly £200 pounds in the UK, I'd happily pay a fair bit more if having to replace it, as it's surprisingly cheap for what it is.

211206S140800428-angle-large.jpg

This is the kind of sound it produces, I finger picked the guitar parts on this draft recording I did when trying out some lyrics I got asked to look at.

Last edited:
Fischman matrix straight into AER Acoustic amp. If you want you can then mic it for PA or you can run it direct.

Thank me later..;)

Fishman matrix straight into AER Acoustic amp. If you want you can then mic it for PA or you can run it direct.
No Thanks! I googled fishman, and got this.
fishman2.jpg
I've got an Ibanez with an XLR out. Don't bother... It sounds like ass.

I would say it could also what kind of live situations? A large and/or good pro pa situation direct via di or other means into the pa and monitors. Smaller places and/or where you want to bring and control your sound, a nice acoustic -or high fidelity rig. I hated the piezo + most so called acoustic amp combinations. Yes I will rag on this. Look check it out. That is a piezo brittle as hell pickup going into a piezo tweeter and cheap 10 or 12" cone --- read 'jagged into jagged. (In other words good luck with that -grins
The AER has been mentioned- haven't tried it, probably very nice but pricey. I landed on a three way Fishman - 2-6's a four inch and dome tweeter. That model's discontinued but from what I heard also from their current smaller rigs, that makes for a major improvement. Another bandmate has a Genz Benz (what is up with that name! :guitar: that sounds pretty decent as well.

Last edited:
Chances are the Washburn has a Fishman pickup in it already (but not the Matrix Infinity - it's a $125 system). The Seagull you tried probably does, too.
Not everyone wants a separate acoustic amp on stage, either, so depending on your PA mixing board's options, a DI/EQ pedal might help tame the piezo quack of your acoustic. I've got a Radial TOnebone PZ-Pre which does a good job and offers a number of useful options for playing live (2 swtchable inputs, FX loop, built-in boost...)

My Washburn has a preamp, but not Fishman. Actually I just pulled the trigger on another Washburn that I had been thinking about as I was looking at the Seagulls. It's the Warren Haynes model. I bought it used through GC, not one near me so it should be here in a day or two. I really wanted to buy one that I had tried out, but when buying used you're limited to what they have in the store which isn't much when it comes to used. So I'm sort of taking a shot in the dark here. One thing that bothers me right now is after I came home and went back online to take a look at it I don't think it's the acoustic electric version as they listed it. So I'll have to see, then I'll have two options: return it, or if I like it then have the Matrix Infinity installed as Muttley suggested.

I've tried a bunch of acoustic/electrics over the years.
Was lucky enough to find one of the Fender Acoustasonic Stratocasters and my search ended.

12003FenderStratocasterAcoustisonicguitar91214c_zpse278a5c1.jpg

This is not one of those Stratacoustic plastic body guitars.
The Fender Acoustasonic Stratocasters were cut from a solid Strat body and have carbonfiber tops.
They made them for like 3 years, were not received well in the market, but they're excellent guitars.

Mine looks & feels basically like my electric Strat, great neck & low action.

If you ever see one, check it out, you might be glad you did too.

Good luck!

On my old acoustic guitar, that I have used to gig with for 15 yrs, I have an Artec MSP50 sound hole pickup with a basic guitar preamp. (EQ7545) It's been a great little set up for all those years. Plug straight into the board of any venue and I have my own EQ to tweak if needed. I've always gone into the board at gigs because it's easier to carry a guitar and nothing else when you're solo. Especially when taking trains, etc.

One reason for going with the Artec MSP50 was having adjustable poles on the pickup and having better option to tweak the tone/balance.

I got a new gigging guitar recently, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro, and the first thing I did was replace the under-saddle Piezo with an Artec MSP50.

:thumbs up:

That strat acoustic looks like it would be worth a try Wavewarrior. I usually play a strat as well. I have been wanting this Washburn I'm waiting for but couldn't justify buying it new. Just have to see how it turns out.
Hey Mr. Clean how do you like your Epi? I was considering the Hummingbird Pro but tried one out and it just didn't do much for me. Well we all have our own preferences and whether it's a cheap $100 guit or a $1000 guit it has to speak to us. I looked at some of those pickups, not sure if any were the model you are atlking about, but it just doesn't seem to be what I want.

The first Hummingbird I had was delivered to me and damaged, which was a shame as it had a really nice action and sound, acoustically and electric. The replacement that was sent was awful in everyway and couldn't of been more different from the guitar I'd played a couple of days before. I sent that back and gave up on buying guitars on the internet. (Something I vowed never to do before and after that, will never do again.)

The Hummingbird I ended up with was by chance really when just generally looking around in shops for a guitar. I tried this one and it was like the first one I played, without the damage. I just didn't like the sound of the electrics so I replaced them with a system that works for me. (Never had an under-saddle pick up that I've actually liked the sound of anyway)

Like you say, it's what works for you. All guitars are different in all price ranges. A friend of mine has a ridiculously price Takemine and it's awful. He loves it, I won't touch the thing. I opted for a cheaper guitar because it's a throwaway, gigging guitar. Easily replaced if lost or damaged.

:thumbs up:

I just got my Tali back from the shop. I'd played it enough I guess to where it turned out it needed a work over more than I realized. New frets, and raised the strings.. Played it last night through the Fishman 'Performer in our electric band's practice just to see you it'd fair LOL. Dang, 'clarity and tone is way up, and dynamics! (that from the strings up I'd guess? Wow.
Shoot the 355 needs to get in for that same trip to the doctor. :)

Anyway.. for another 'bump for the Fishman Performer. Just tell it 'speak! .. and it do.
I be psyched! right about now :)

Hey all,

I'm struggling with the same question as the first poster. I had a piezo built into my steelstring. The term 'piezo quack' made me chuckle, that's exactly the problem :) I wouldn't want to bring an acoustic amp to each gig, I prefer to travel light, so what would be an affordable alternative?

I could use some clarification with regard to the answers so far. With the risk of sounding like a complete noob:

- I thought a DI is just a simple signal booster, so how would that improve the sound over using the pre-amps in the PA mixer?
- Would it be useful to put a reverb and/or compression pedal between guitar and PA, or does it still sound thin?
- Are there any dedicated acoustic pre-amps for this purpose in the <$100 range that you could recommend?

Thanks guys!

(P.S. this is my first post in years, good to be back!)

Back