Acoustic Blues-ish Stuff - Please Critique

tourettes5139

Hard on Me
Sweetest Part
Echoes

Hey guys,

These are three of the songs that my band has recorded recently, and I could really use some feedback on these preliminary mixes. I think they are pretty good, but I know I still have work to do. Any comments/criticisms are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

:D

tourettes5139 said:
Hard on Me
Sweetest Part
Echoes

Hey guys,

These are three of the songs that my band has recorded recently, and I could really use some feedback on these preliminary mixes. I think they are pretty good, but I know I still have work to do. Any comments/criticisms are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Hey Tourettes, (Hard On Me)

Great tune, I love it, I totally love the blues!

Down to the mix.

The vocals are great but the backing tracks need to be bought up to the vocals a tad. The vocals need to be tamed in regards to the fluctuation of volume mainly in part of different levels of excitement throughout the tune!

The bongo's need some work, I am struggling to think what to do to them just by listening, perhaps a cut in the mids by a few db's and a boost in the highs (I'm not quite sure, they just seem a tad boomy???)

The guitars are sounding excellent and have been captured beautifully! The guitar playing on the right I think needs to be upped a slight notch in volume!

Nice solo, a few glitches, but sweet playing. The soloing guitar could also be boosted with some lows.

I loved the tune and will have a listen to the others real soon.

Great stuff fellas.......Brilliant...reminds me a touch of the band REEF. That's a good thing! :) :)

Gorty

Hi Tourettes...I listened to 'Hard On Me' and am now listening to sweetest part.

On 'Hard On Me'

I really dig your vocals....is that you? If so, it is amazing for an 18 yr old!!! :)

Love the guitars. The bongos add a different flavour to the song.

I won't comment on any of the mix...I see Gorty already did. I don't hear stuff right anyways.... :D

Wow...I really like this one...'Sweetest Thing'

The music is great!!

I really dig them vocals !! You got a killer voice. Lots of emotion.

I do think the vox are too up front on this one too.

The guitar is vibrating or something on this...

I do love your tunes....on to the next one!! :)

Echoes....the bongos are such a great touch !! They sound a bit tinny...not both of them...just the smaller of the heads. You might try different tape, cloth just like on a snare to get the tone richer.

I really like the drums on this and the build up in the song.

Once again your vox kick butt!!

Like the use of the kick on this one.

TRUE :)

cool tunes. really like the rythm guitar on echoes.

hard on me - guitars sound like you got alot of fret buzz going on. hand drums are too meaty/ringing while the guitars are too thin. sounds like you were trying to avoid boominess with the acoustic. the reverb on the vocals sounds very unnatural.

sweetest part - overall mix sounds low. bass drum kind of sticks out. lead guitar sounds like a little too much is trying to be done. maybe simplify it a bit. vocal is up and down in volume.

echoes - alot of the lead fills kind of clutter up the tune. the vocal volume is too low. kick is too loud and too puffy sounding. snare sounds nice. ride is a little bright. vocal tracking seems to be the biggest weakness here.......not the voice or singing.

it sounds like you may have some click/pop issues in a few places.

Hey guys, thanks a LOT for the critiques. I've been having a lot of trouble with the djembe, I just can't get it to sound right, (which you guys obviously picked up on), but hey, that's part of the job. We're trying to get this demo together by a week from saturday, and I need all the help and alternate viewpoints that I can get. I'm going to work on these tonight, and try to post some more updates. Thanks again!!! Keep em coming!!

BTW, sorry, True, that's not me singing. I wish it was with all my heart, but its not. I did all the bass, and most of the lead guitar stuff, and a little bit of rhythm guitar. We've got a couple more songs that we need to finish up a track or two on, and then I'll come back for some more help. :D

Tasty tunes man.

From my very limited experience I for sure can tell the vocals are out there too much as others have pointed out and in "Sweetest Part" the kick is too strong.

Thats all for now form a noob, but keep it up, sounds like some nice songs...

Cool songs man.
Hard On Me...For the most part, I' hear no issues. Maybe even the volume out on the vocals, but don't get rid of the emotion. Sounds pretty cool really.

Sweetest Part....Pretty quiet start. It could probably be a bit louder, and not change the way it comes on. Overall volume could come up. There seems to be a boom really down low. Maybe diminish that a bit. Good tune again.

Echoes....Probably a bit quiet again. Sounding good, maybe just boost the volume a little. Make the last 2 a bit more like the first, as far as volume.

Just small nits. Good tunes man.
Ed

hard On Me - LOUDER LLLOOOUUUDDEEEERRR please.
Apart from that - chugga lug blues funk that would suit Little Feat a treat.
I'll listen to the other later but good going. It'd be great if there was a touch of your syndrome in there.
Cheers
rayC

I listened a few more times, and the main issue to me is just the volume. Try and even them all out a little. They have some really quiet spots, that could come up and sit with the louder spots well. But I dig the tunes man. Nice stuff.
Ed

Back