Acoustic bass

ggunn

Crystal Flavolian
I'm shopping for an acoustic bass guitar for campfires and back porches. From what I can see on line, a Michael Kelly Club Deluxe 5 string is looking pretty good to me. Whaddya think?

It really depends on your expectations. There is no acoustic bass guitar that, unplugged, is gonna give you the volume - and fundamental - of an upright bass. It's simple physics. As long as you know that, okay.

AGCurry said:
It really depends on your expectations. There is no acoustic bass guitar that, unplugged, is gonna give you the volume - and fundamental - of an upright bass. It's simple physics. As long as you know that, okay.

Yes, I know that. I have rented and played a Fender acoustic bass guitar a few times and it was OK. Now I want to buy one, and I am inquiring as to that particular make and model.

best acoustic bass I ever played PERIOD was a Fylde albeit it was a 4 string but it had "something" about it that made me wish I had six hundred spare UK pounds

The lady in the acoustic band I'm in has a really nice old Guild. It has a passive pickup system in it, but you have to really crank up the PA levels to give it any decent bass sound. She always prefers her upright in most cases.

For the money, a Johnson JG-622-E acoustic/electric bass is a good one. I don't know of too many acoustic bass guitars that don't have a pickup, which comes in handy for the times it's better to plug it in. I play mine through my Vox T25 bass combo, and with the EQ set just right, it'll thump like a Precision Bass (which I also have). Being acoustic, it's nice to be able to jam away and not have to worry about people complaining about the volume. :)

Earthshaking Music has a picture and description...

http://earthshakingmusic.com/JG-622-E.html

Given the brand name, there's also plenty of potential for off-color jokes to be had...depending on your sense of humor, of course. I only realized the potential as I was walking out of the store where I'd bought mine. :p

Matt

Back