Acoustic Ballad

NL5

Unpossible!
Here is an acoustic ballad I recorded recently. Looking for critiques on the mix and the vocal pitch mainly, but all comments are welcomed. Listened to it too much and think I've lost perspective.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/44654-jaykay.mp3url] Thanks! :D

Last edited:
That is a beautiful guitar track--beautifully written, played and tracked. The vocal really suits it, but it needs to come up some. As beautiful as the guitar is, the vocal still needs to take the lead, but it doesn't quite get out on top of the guitar. And the background vox are golden. Very impressive...

Last edited:
Strat nailed it. The guitars are nice. Since you asked specifically about vocal pitch, I think for the most part it's pretty good. There's two spots where the main vocal and the harmony seem to be clashing, and it's on the same word "back" at 1:50 and again at 2:40. The notes there are not meshing well. Other than that, nice job. I agree the vocals could come up, or maybe just more forward in the mix.

Last edited:
Thanks for the critiques guys. I'll bump the vocals up a bit, and try and find a take of that section that works, but they all seemed kinda off. He may have to come back and fix that one word.

Updated the OP with a new link. Brought the vocal up, and smoothed out some of the pitch problems. A few other minor tweaks.

:D

Sounds better. You fixed the only glaring pitch problem from the first mix. The only other thing I might change is to cut some high end from your vocal reverb. It's slightly washy on the opening phrase. The rest of the song, it's not that noticeable. Nice song.

yeah, this is great. I'm not sure about the doubled vocal? It seemed to detract from the lovely simplicity of the tune. But, wow, very nice playing for sure!! well done Sir

Turn the vocal up 1 dB. And when the vocal starts, turn the guitar parts down 2 dB. Turn 'em back up in the break. Turn 'em back down when the singing starts. Yay!

yeah, this is great. I'm not sure about the doubled vocal? It seemed to detract from the lovely simplicity of the tune. But, wow, very nice playing for sure!! well done Sir

Turn the vocal up 1 dB. And when the vocal starts, turn the guitar parts down 2 dB. Turn 'em back up in the break. Turn 'em back down when the singing starts. Yay!

Thanks for the listen and comments! :D

Back