Acoustic # 2 - Isn't it a Lovely Day

lynx

Song #2 of the acoustic album. It's just a response to people telling me I write negative songs all the time. Rather than hunt those people down and kill them I wrote this in response :D

Also, there is a girl vocalist contributing for the first time. Let me know what you think if you get a chance, everyone is busy this time of year I know.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3040&alid=-1

your songwriting skills are very sharp.
I like the vocal harminies, very classy.........
For some reason this reminds me of something Erland might have written.
The piano part was a pleasant surprise, VERY well done.

A bit gloomy for my taste though
:D Just Kidding:)

Nice tune. Good space to the mix but there may be a bit too much high end on the reverb. I like the percussion. You could maybe compress the lead vocals a bit. They drop out a touch in parts. The harmonies are nice. She did a good job.

Thx Hevy, I'll try to be happier :D I'm a big Erland fan so that's a nice comment to hear.

Thx Tex. I played the vocals a fair bit on this one, maybe I "had" it and went on to something worse, it happens. Thx for the comment for my female counterpart, she is quite pleased.

Real nice on all counts. I would agree that there are spots where the lead vocal would benefit from some compression.

Nice stuff, Mr. Lynx. The guitars have a pleasant sound to them.

I thought there was a bit too much reverb on some of the percussion elements (e.g., the tamborene, and the drum that comes in at 0:43), but I think that is what you were going for. Just didn't appeal to me. I did like the bongo's at the end. They were a nice touch.

You might want to look for a different piano sample. This song wanted a rich grand piano sound, and I didn't think the sample you used quite got there. Again, my taste, so take it for what it's worth.

The best thing about this song is that the music is tight. Nothing offbeat that I could hear.

I might consider shortening the song length a bit to give more punch. Maybe with a fade on the end instead. Only my opinion though.

And I liked the piano sound you got, but a grand would be nice to try.

dachay2tnr - Thx for the listen. I actually had about 10 times more reverb on those things and backed way off at the end. I think I'm OK with it now. Unfortuantely, that's the best piano sound I can come up with on my Roland XP-30.

auburncatfish - Thx for the listen, I have considered a fade actually, it does seem to drag a bit. Thx for listening.

I like the melody/harmony movement at 1:35. I agree the piano font could be something slightly more organic but the part as written is perfect, nice touch.

I like the mixture of the male and female vox, give it a nice warm out at open mic night feel. All those instruments remind me of open mic, acoustics, bongos, chix!!:D

Watch some of the ooohs at 3:00 i heard slight intonation..

Very nice work lynx, not depressing in the least i feel much better after listening.

Khompewtur - I know, there is a slight intonation prob with the ooh there at 3:00, everytime I hear it now I cringe, I'll retrack that with her. Happy to enlighten your day Khomp.

I'd agree with texroadkill - too much high on the reverb. I'm not a big fan of reverb in general though. Something in the song definitely needs more highs tho, sounds a little dark - maybe eq the guitars a little to add some hi's? It made a big difference when the piano came in to give a good spacial impression - I was thinking, yeah that's what was missing! The harmonies are really nice - "sunshine" in cool. The beginning of the tune, the vocal seemed a little naked - maybe compression as suggested would fix that, or maybe do a very quiet (almost inaudible) double on the vocal track?

Good stuff overall. I really dig the other song "I wonder why this is". I don't know why but it reminds me of Phish. I dunno.

I feel you on the negative song thing. I got the same problem.

I heard this several days ago but the server wouldnt let me reply then.
I`m really pleased and excited with several things your doing here with this tune. The guitar sounds really nice in the wide mix with just the right amount of mechanical tones recorded with string tones, very smooth. The piano sounds really good, if it were not for the end of the envelope on the notes I wouldnt be able to tell it was sampled. The percussions are sweet. Vocals are smooth and ambient. Really..

Thx paco for the listen, I've become a reverb addict. :D

Toki987 - Thx Toki for the comments, glad you liked it.

Back