Acid Pro 4.0 grinds to a halt

dafduc

I am apparently putting together acd files that are either too complex, or I'm doing something that AP4 doesn't like.

My PC's a little old, but it still handles my other apps pretty well - 866 mhz Compaq P3 with 512mb ram, and two HDs, 40gb and 80gb. Running WinME, all competing processes shut off.

One tune only had about 10-12 tracks. I was running a few effects, but limited myself to track-optimized effects.

Even when I soloed a single track, it froze up on me - apparently soloing doesn't shut off processing on the trax?

On one tune, I reused the same vocal file (big file, one-shot mode) on 5 tracks, playing with segments to get a pseudo-chorus going. I tried changing it to loop mode to see if it would help, but it still sputtered to a halt.

This has forced me to always render the file after I tweak it, so I can listen, because soloing doesn't help. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Acid is a great sketchpad type environment to build a song in. But it chokes so easy, I may have to resurrect my old practice of starting in Acid and porting to Cubase 5 - which seems to have few troubles running lots of tracks and effects.

Little help, please?

Thx,

Daf

alot of it depends on how much cpu power and ram you have
i use Acid pro 4 as well, and i can normally have up to 30 tracks with 2 effects each on the tracks, any more then that it will start to choke as yours does
this is my system though, P4 2.4 gig, 1 gig of RAM, 120 gig HD, 2 M-audio cards (24/96, and Delta 44)

more RAM will never hurt a system, but if you running win 98 its useless to have more then 512, but with XP 1 gig really helps

if its not an option to buy more RAM, then maybe you will have to port to cubase, i used to do that as well on my old machine, but got tired of transfering all the time

peace
LB

I agree with LiquidBronze

I have a similar system....

P4 1.8 ghz, 1 gig RAM, 80 gig HD, with Delta 66 and Tascam PCI 822 soundcards.

I can run 30 to 40 tracks with 1 - 2 FX's on each track & 3 FX's on the MASTER.

You might need to change your OS to XP, then add some more RAM.

I think that the solution that you are already implementing is the only way that you can get the job done, in ACID.

I used to use the same measures, as you, when I was using WIN98SE, 833MHZ, 256RAM, 40gig HD.

Peace...

spin

Some tips i read:

1) prevent using long audio files as loops cause that will mean loading them from RAM. Use them as one-shots, that will read them directly from hard disk.

2) if you have a track that has lots of small one-shots, you can render them a new file and put the whole file in as a track.

Back