Acer?

Newbie dude

Anyone had any experience with these computers? are they any good? I'm considering buying one I saw at best buy, cause it had some good features for a nice price, but i dont know much about the brand.

Acer actually is one the the few remaining companies that manufactures most of their components. (motherboards, monitors, etc..). I have actually built quite a few pc's for myself and others using their A-Open series of components. Very nice stuff. I dont know how the ones at Best Buy are configured, but I usually recommend that people stay away from store bought pc's that have video and sound built in to the motherboard. Its hard to find a system with seperate components at the store anymore, but ones that offer you option of disabling the onboard sound and video and upgrading to seperates are ok. And the performance of the pc will increase if seperate video and sound is used.

alright. cool. i'm not sure how the video and sound is configured into the motherboard, or whatnot. I know it uses an AMD processor, which I've never really heard of. I'm use to pentiums. is AMD any good?

I recently bought one of those Acer Aspires at Best Buy. The Realtek sound is a nightmare for recording purposes but otherwise the PC runs good. For the price, bundled with the wide screen 19" LCD, I can't complain. I may need to sink a few more bucks into it so I can record. I only have playback working in Sonar right now and it's definitely a device latency issue.

AMD is my processor of choice. But like Pinky said the onboard sound on new pc's are not any good. Your better off disabling it and adding a dedicated sound card or external source for audio recording

well, i wouldnt be using the computer's card/speakers. i've got a firebox and some m-audio speakers i use already. I don't know anybody who use the onboard stuff.

Acer V.S. recording

Hery guys i'm new to the forum not to recording but for some reason for the life of me I can't figure out this Realtek sound card thing. I'm only getting a left mono wave! Can anyone help me?
I would be more then happy answering any questions i could feild for any of you regarding gear (guitars etc) in exchange for some info HAHA.
BenT

Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. If a component goes, it's near on impossible to get a replacement. Acer didn't want to know, and because they make most of their own components, couldn't source one from elsewhere. The laptop was only 16 months old as well.

I've had my aspire laptop for a bit over a year and I've had to take it in 4 times to get the power connection fixed.

Don't know what it's like in the states, but in the UK, Acer are generally classed as a joke. Go with a trusted brand. It's worth the extra cash. The power connections are a known fault. A huge percentage of them fail.

Mulrooney said:
Don't know what it's like in the states, but in the UK, Acer are generally classed as a joke. Go with a trusted brand. It's worth the extra cash. The power connections are a known fault. A huge percentage of them fail.

Well, Acer is definitely not a joke. I'm a computing professional and wouldn't buy junk. The internal parts are not proprietary junk either. As a matter of fact I swapped the included power supply with an Antec before I even power it on (also upgraded the video with a PCIE nvidia 8600, which requires a 350+W psu). The Acer power supply went into my personal home theater PC. The Aspire is even the old standard ATX style motherboard, not the new and often difficult to find replacement parts for BX style which many OEMs are moving towards.

Power supplies and hard drives are the two most-likely-to-fail PC components. Pointing at them as proof of crappy components isn't fair to any OEM manufacturer. I'm logging a service order now for a high end IBM desktop whose power supply just went up in smoke. Does that mean all IBM machines are junk? Hardly, it's just par for the course that these things happen.

Gateway is probably the only OEM I would absolutely stay clear of. They have a long history of buying second rate components for use in their PCs and laptops. The emachine lineup, being the epitome of that tradition, have a realized and well documented fail rate issue with ALL components. You will not find such hard facts on the Acer computers because none exist.

Would Gateway be a 'trusted' brand? They been around forever and a day....

How about Dell? They sell a lot of PCs, so they must be good, right?...

What defines 'trusted'? Can you truly trust anyone trying to undercut their opponent's pricing?...

watermelon said:
I've had my aspire laptop for a bit over a year and I've had to take it in 4 times to get the power connection fixed.

A lot of laptops suffer this fate, and this happens across the board with all makes/models. I've seen this the most with the larger HP Pavilion laptops (which cost somewhere around $2000 :eek: and are otherwise good machines). Has to do with the type of internal connection used, actual location of the power plug on the laptop (rear, side, near other inputs, etc), and the user.

just another opinion...

i got a laptop recently and the sales dewd said not to get the Acer brand. He said of the demo's, he has the Acer's go out more than all the other brands put together. (and he's not working on commission).

I am not a pc professional, but haven't heard anything great about Acer in the past either from pc sales b-inlaw, and Engineer students.

They are cheap, on a positive note the dewd at Circuit City did say "you'll probably be alright for 2-3 yrs with the Acer".

Acer sounds like Behringer and McDonalds...its all in your budget and expectations.

COOLCAT said:
just another opinion...

i got a laptop recently and the sales dewd said not to get the Acer brand. He said of the demo's, he has the Acer's go out more than all the other brands put together. (and he's not working on commission).

I am not a pc professional, but haven't heard anything great about Acer in the past either from pc sales b-inlaw, and Engineer students.

They are cheap, on a positive note the dewd at Circuit City did say "you'll probably be alright for 2-3 yrs with the Acer".

Acer sounds like Behringer and McDonalds...its all in your budget and expectations.

Sales rep must have been getting sales percs from the other manufacturer that month and not Acer. Dude you find bad in everything. Ive had nothing but good luck with A-Open products in the past. Do I use Acer stuff now, no. Not that I wouldnt. I build my own stuff and use whats hot at that moment.

Back