Accoustic / Electric drums

sae

Hey,

I am thinking about getting some electric drums and I really like the Roland v-pro (but who has money for that).

Before I get into specifics, but first some background information. I will be using these drums to play in band practice as well as doing some recording.

Options:
1. Buy an electric drum set such as the roland v-drums
2. Buy an accoustic kit, a ddrum 4se module (seems to be the best:confused: ), some triggers and stuff the kit with foam, etc so it doesn't make any noise
3. Make my own pads (buy shells online) and trigger them

The third option would involve me buying some shells online and adding mesh heads to both sides.

What do you think is my best option?
Any other options, or ideas?
If I make my own piezo pickups (radio shack parts), do I still get dual zone, rim shots, and variable speeds?

Thanks in advance

Psh.. electric.

If you're playing these drums at practice, don't you already own an acoustic kit?

Just convert those if you do.

To make a long story short...we have an accoustic set right now, but it's my drummers and he's leaving the band. I have been dedicated the new drummer...so we don't really have a kit.

If I were to buy a trigger for an accoustic set, how would I get dual zone and rim shots?

Is this only possible by buying a pad that has three triggers - one for each zone and one for the rim shots?

If i make my own pad using three piezo pickups how do I connect all three to one input on the module?

Dual zone trigers work with a stereo plug. So, wiring would have to utilize the correct stereo wires.

I've used mono triggers on accoustic kits, but never tried to rig up a dual zone.

Interesting question - I hope someone has a good answer.

seems like alot of trouble when you could just buy mics to mic up an acoustic kit and get alot better sounds

Roland V-Drums

I have recently purchased a set of Roland Session Set V-Drums. There is no replacement for this set. It will cost you more but you can't beat the sound or the feel of the V-Drums. Bite the bullet and buy them you can't go wrong. When you play live there is no micing no tuning no panning. Just set up and Play.

Barry

Well, right now you can get the TD-10 (the V-drum sound module) for about $995 at Musician's Friend. Roland recently released an updated module called the TD-20, and it goes for around $1750 or so.

Personally, if you are just planning on using electronics for the drums, and using real cymbals-I would go with the TD-8, which you can get new for around $695...you'll just have to look around for it.

You can convert regular drums to semi-silent electronic drums for about $25 to $30 per drum (average) and still use regular heads.

I would go with an acoustic kit, and convert it to electric myself....the reason being the Vdrum is nothing but about $10 in electronics and a mesh head.
(Triggers can be bought for about $2.50 each online. Panasonic Piezo's are cheap, and everyone uses them.)

You can go to a local foam company, and have them make you "plugs" out of foam to fit inside the drums..i.e., for a 10"x10" drum, have them make you a 10"x10" foam cylinder and stuff it inside the drum.

If you have to do any cutting on the foam-and you will - you will need to buy an electric carving knife to cut the foam.
JUST BE CAREFUL!!

You need to cut the foam, and insert the trigger (epoxyed to a metal coffee can lid) inside the foam about 1/2" from the end that goes beneath the batter head.

Then just drill a hole in the drumshell, and put a 1/4" jack in the drum, so that you can plug it in.

There are lots of ways to convert an acoustic kit, and this is just one of them.

Tim

Back