Accessing data CD-RW locks-up computer

ap

I back up my music related files to CD-RW and one of them will not open up. In fact, any time I try to access it, by shortcut to cdrom disc, explorer, or even if I boot the computer with it in the drive, the computer locks up. If I ctrl+alt+del, it says Explorer and Pcciomon- my anti-virus software, PC-cillon- are not responding. I'm thinking I may have a virus on it and maybe pccillon is causing it to lockup when it tries to access something on the disc. I'm afraid to disable pccillon and open it, thinking that it may release a virus if it has one. Any idea how I can fix this disc without risking something terrible? The disc appears to be in absolute perfect condition.

Provided you get regular updates for PC-Cillin you can scan the disc for viruses.
These music related files ?? are we talking kaaza or other downloads ? Or your recordings ?

This disc is my recordings, but uses plenty of drum samples which have been downloaded from various places. There are also some tablature and midi files of popular songs. Most of it I could probably not miss too much, but there are two songs in particular that have quite a bit of editing and mix automation I would hate to lose.

I always update Pccillon when prompted. If I try to scan the disc, it locks up.

I've never even been to Kazaa. I tried napster a few times back in the day, but that was a long time ago, and haven't had any problems.

Pccillon has notified me of two viruses in probably as many years, but is not alerting me of anything about this disc- it can't access it anyway.

Could be some kind of data glitch? I'm not really even sure if it is a virus....

CD-RW's do not last forever. I have reached the end of the usefull life of a CD-RW a couple of times.

You can only write to them so much before they start to deteriorate.

Back