AC isolated ground; redundant on 1-outlet dedicated circuit?

Bob Ross

Your god hates me
Simple question (I hope)...

If I only have a single outlet on its own dedicated AC circuit, are the advantages of isolated ground pointless and/or redundant?

Depends on how devices on the other circuits will be used with the dedicated
line.

For example:

Will you be physically connecting any sound cables from rack units, or
amplifiers to a console on a seperate circuit?

The answer is that it depends - ground loops can exist in the system - and cause problems with your gear - even if it is a dedicated circuit - this because all of the grounds and neutral lines from everything in the panel are bonded to one another in the main panel.

You can by-pass these when using an isolated circuit because you can return IC grounds to a box outside of the main panel and then tie into the individual ground line that returns to the common ground. That puts you outside of the main panel cluster.

So it may or may not make sense depending on how clear (noise wise) your grounds are to begin with.

Rod

... If I only have a single outlet on its own dedicated AC circuit, are the advantages of isolated ground pointless and/or redundant?

I wouldn't do it unless I was looking to solve a problem, and then I'd probably go for an additional ground rod as opposed to a dedicated one so as to avoid any possible ground loops.

There is only one ground.

I wouldn't do it unless I was looking to solve a problem, and then I'd probably go for an additional ground rod as opposed to a dedicated one so as to avoid any possible ground loops.

There is only one ground.

A separate ground rod is both a violation of the NEC.

The NEC only allows you to run the ground to a sub panel outside of the main panel - and then the ground must tie to the ground running from the main to the ground rod for the electrical system......

I do not recommend that you violate any codes - the people who put them together are pretty smart and have reasons for requiring what they do.

Rod

A separate ground rod is both a violation of the NEC.
and????:confused::D

Remember that "ground rod" issue I had with a sub panel Rod? Good god. That one lead to the Neutral conductor issue..and then...the Neuman Machine...er....nevermind. I know when I'm outta my league.

Back