Absorption panels...

mattr

Resident moody teenager
Just found out that one of my friend's dad is an acoustical engineer who runs an industrial noise control business. We were using their workshop/warehouse for a band rehearsal and so I got to have a peek at some of the stuff they make.

Turns out they were working on a batch of very nice looking industrial-grade absorption panels... cloth wrapped high-density fibreglass in a metal frame, covered in a perforated metal grill with nice rounded edges. These things were fairly ma'husive, probably 8ft tall.

So I was thinking, if they would be any good in a studio then I could probably sweet-talk myself into a bit of discount and buy half a dozen or so. I didn't find out how much they charge per panel and I'm assuming they wouldn't be cheap, but I did have a cheeky nose at an invoice that had been left lying around and if I read it correctly then the pricing for their stuff wasn't as high as I would expect.

The only real difference then is the metal frame grill, as opposed to a wooden frame and fabric wrapping. Would the metal grill be ok? Holes were a few mm in diameter. What do you guys think?

(sorry about the B&W photos... accidentally switched phone camera onto a weird picture mode and didn't have time to switch it back)

2myqhvo.jpg

These ones didn't have the cloth wrapping around the back - probably destined for a different application that didn't need it...

2qlc1n8.jpg

Even if the metal wouldn't be such a good idea and I decide to build them myself with fabric, I reckon I could still save some money use them as a fibreglass supplier.

Thoughts? Thanks :)

If he uses OC703/5, or Johns Manville equivalent or Rock Wool, it would probably work really well.

If you REALLY want to save money, buy some raw OC703 yourself, shroud them with fabric and mount them yourself. It's not that hard and saves TONS of money.

Back