Absorber Positioning??

Tukkis

Hey

I am going to make a few of these for my studio:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=42708&highlight=absorbers

Firstly where should I place them around the room? eg.behind drums, behind monitors??

I also wanted to put some on the ceiling. Do the panels have to be hard up against the ceiling or can they be suspended?

Also with the wall panels do they have to be hard up against the wall?

Finally, if I put these absorbers around the room and also built some bass traps for the corners would this be enough acoustic treatment to cover most frequencies??

My room is a garage that will be insulated and treated and is 18ft x 11.5ft x 7.8ft.

Thanks
Tukkis

Tukkis said:
Hey

<<Firstly where should I place them around the room? eg.behind drums, behind monitors??>>

Guess I should take this one since those are my panels :-)

If you're just looking to knock down the liveness of a room, put them anywhere. absorption is absorption. If you're dealing with flutter echoes, put them on the problems walls with no two panels across from one another. I've read to maximize the panels absorption it's best to scatter them rather than put them all on one wall, and this seems to be true of the installs I've done.

<<I also wanted to put some on the ceiling. Do the panels have to be hard up against the ceiling or can they be suspended? >>

Either is fine. Apparently the freq response is lowered a bit when lifted off the wall.

<<Also with the wall panels do they have to be hard up against the wall?>>

Ditto

<<Finally, if I put these absorbers around the room and also built some bass traps for the corners would this be enough acoustic treatment to cover most frequencies??>>

If you have the space on the walls I'd recommend going with a 4" thick panel for a more wide band absorption. The 2" panels drop off below 500hz and chances are your bass traps may not reach that high, leaving a peak in the low bass area.

<<My room is a garage that will be insulated and treated and is 18ft x 11.5ft x 7.8ft.>>

If you haven't yet framed in this room, as this would suggest, I'd recommend you check out some of john sayer's designs at the SAE site which incorporate acoustic treatments into the wall construction.

Incidentally, I just built some very simple 4" panels this past week the hang on the ceiling in my room. I guess the hip word these days would be to call them "clouds". It's not rocket science to make these as the 703 does all the absorption work. You just have to find a pleasing way to wrap it and hang it. These panels are 4" of 703 ( actually it's knauf brand- 2 layers of 2" ) on a 1/4" pegboard wrapped in fabric and stapled to the back. The pegboard is merely chosen as an inexpensive, solid backing. No adhesive or nothing. I put some eyehooks on the back to hang with a light chain 4" from the ceiling. each panel cost about $20.00 USD for the materials to build. They get the job done...

here's a pic

DAN

Attachments

• 703 pancake.jpg
    703 pancake.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 211
Ok thanks for that.

Also if I wanted to make double sided panels to make one side dead and one live could I put any material on the back of the absorbers and just flip it around to make it live??

or should I just take off the panel from the wall and just leave the giprock plaster board as the live side??

Thanks again
Tukkis

Tukkis said:
Ok thanks for that.

Also if I wanted to make double sided panels to make one side dead and one live could I put any material on the back of the absorbers and just flip it around to make it live??

or should I just take off the panel from the wall and just leave the giprock plaster board as the live side??

either way will work. Flipping them over is also likely to give you some extra diffusion from the sides of the panels, as compared to the flat walls. If you plan on moving them at all, you might just as well make them as multipurpose as possible.

Ok so are there any preferable wood types that will reflect sound better or sound better for a live sound or will any do?

Thanks
Tukkis

Tukkis,

Radiata pine and/or standard CD grade plywood are sufficient.

By the time you start getting into timbers that may have sufficiently different properties, your budget will have blown out beyond reasonable limits.

:cool:

Ok so plywood is fine. No need to spend big bucks for a small studio as the money can be spent better elsewhere.

Thanks Guys
Tukkis

As if i needed another project to do, and more ways to spend money! But I am going to do some work with those puppies.

OK, here is a question for you gurus out there, i already have about a dozen of these-

http://www.auralex.com/sound_diffusor_minifusor/sound_diffusor_minifusor.asp

which are plastic, 12x12 inch diffusers. Should i just put them up, or would stuffing them with some sort of absorbtive material have a desireable effect? I was thinking of putting 3 on each side of my sweet spot and then the other 6 on the back wall.

Anyway, that is my random thought.

Also, does the size matter of the absorbers. Is there a maximum size? I wanted to make bigger ones so then I want have to make as many.

Thanks
Tukkis

Back