Absolution City

Very, very well made.
There's a lot more in the left. Drums are way over there, as are most of the instruments.
But, it's nice instrumentally. Touches of 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond' come thru for me.
It is not as 1920's retro as you think - is more modern than that.
Maybe finger snaps are a bit wierd, I don't know. They didn't anger me or anything, just stand out they do - perhaps because they are not electronic/midi whereas other instruments are? But, overall they are fine .. and enhance the listening pleasure.

Hehe.
Good sounds.

I left the presets alone and went with their default panning. Apparently, I'll either need to edit them and bring the panning into the center, or, just not pan them so extreme...probably both.
As for the 20's retro thing....I was going for the Noir vibe with some updated conventions like a wah distorted guitar for starters...so mission accomplished.:D
And those finger snaps were just a disaster.:( For the life of me, I couldn't get those guys to snap their fingers in unison and in meter! :confused:
Thanks for the listen!

I left the presets alone and went with their default panning. Apparently, I'll either need to edit them and bring the panning into the center, or, just not pan them so extreme...probably both.
As for the 20's retro thing....I was going for the Noir vibe with some updated conventions like a wah distorted guitar for starters...so mission accomplished.:D
And those finger snaps were just a disaster.:( For the life of me, I couldn't get those guys to snap their fingers in unison and in meter! :confused:
Thanks for the listen!

Doesn't your recording software allow you to retime things? I might be spoiled, but in Audition, I can slice up a track, and nudge things around to line up entrances and the like, with no effect on the raw WAV file... It'd be super easy to line up a bunch of snapping rhythms, assuming they each have their own track...

As to a widefield stereo sound and it's pannign, if you have a stereo expander, you ca sort of use it in reverse, and narrow the field, and then pan it somewhere in the mix where it's effectively off center, but still "stereo"...

Doesn't your recording software allow you to retime things? I might be spoiled, but in Audition, I can slice up a track, and nudge things around to line up entrances and the like, with no effect on the raw WAV file... It'd be super easy to line up a bunch of snapping rhythms, assuming they each have their own track...

As to a widefield stereo sound and it's pannign, if you have a stereo expander, you ca sort of use it in reverse, and narrow the field, and then pan it somewhere in the mix where it's effectively off center, but still "stereo"...

I could line things up in Sonar, but the purpose of this project was to see how far I could push the Zoom R16 on it's own....and it has about zero editing capabilities.:o It will happily export the .wav files to Sonar tho.:)
I do have an expander plug in SoundForge and Sonar both. I hadn't thought of using it reverse. That should be interesting. Thanks for the idea.:cool:

I could line things up in Sonar, but the purpose of this project was to see how far I could push the Zoom R16 on it's own....and it has about zero editing capabilities.:o It will happily export the .wav files to Sonar tho.:)
I do have an expander plug in SoundForge and Sonar both. I hadn't thought of using it reverse. That should be interesting. Thanks for the idea.:cool:

I'm a fan of using the best tools you have, to their limits. :)

That's cool. And when I say cool, I mean cool. :p

Yo, when that lead guitar comes in, it sounds like Pink Floyd if Pink Floyd played Jazz.

Oh, and hey, did you know it leans to the left and that horn in the beginning......:p

Not my genera but i liked when the lead guitar came in. When the song switched up and came in at 3:00 or so it seemed harsh. Great playing by all everyone though.

Alrighty then. Taking the advice you've given, I imported the wav files into Sonar 8 and got busy wit em. I reduced the pans on the drum trax quite a bit and placed them them basically at about at 25% spread each way. Doing this to the key tracks was little more challenging as I layered the 2 string patches and pad on the same track as the Piano...(all these were being fed to the recorder from the Fantom G6 where there were sequenced), so radical panning helped put things in the middle where they should be, but completely robbed the piece of it's ambience. So, I compromised and reduced the pans about 45% bringing them much closer together...losing some of the smoky feeling, but still preserving enough of the vibe. I inserted a compressor on the bass track and then went to work on the eq trying to bring a little more definition into it...so-so results thus far.
I then applied a little multi band massaging to the overall mix, plugged in Ozone 3 and used the stereo enhancing FX and added just a hair of spread in the upper frequencies only...hoping to add a bit of breadth to the mix while still keeping the meat in the middle, and dropped if into a 320k/sec mp3.
The mix seems to be much better centered....does it work for you?

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=20990

Thanks to all for the excellent ears and advice. I'm learning quite a bit with this mix.:cool:

Back