absolute lowest computer for recording

Elmo89m

I need to buy a computer that i will allow me to record up to six tracks simultanesouly through delta1010lt through sonar 2 xl.....what is the lowest performance speed i need....i dont think memory will be a problem as i am dedicating it solely to recording....IM talking mega budget used ebay computer

go to the m-audio page and look at thier specs for min. requirements.

remember, if you go with minimum requirements, you will get minimal performance.

I did most of my songs on a 750MHz Duron with 256MB RAM and Win98SE, and it did fine. What you'll need is RAM and disk space which are cheap these days.

Six tracks record is no big deal. How many tracks you wanna mix? How many plugs you wanna run?

I'm still running a 1GHz P3/512MB with no complaints, although I did just pick up a UAD-1 :) A lot easier & cheaper than a new box :cool:

haha. yeah these guys are right too. But I mean, if you're gonna have 25 tracks in the end on a project with effects on them all, and something on the master as well, you're stuff will have some possible problems with a not-so-decent computer.

I used to use a P3/1ghz with 512 megs of RAM. The box cost me $200 (check on eBay for HP Vectra VL400s). The only complaint I had for it was the cooling. The only fan in the box was the heatsink (aside from the PSU fan) and the equipment got very hot at times. Solution: a new case! It held up very very nicely most of the time.

shackrock said:
haha. yeah these guys are right too. But I mean, if you're gonna have 25 tracks in the end on a project with effects on them all, and something on the master as well, you're stuff will have some possible problems with a not-so-decent computer.

No question, I ain't telling anybody to get a P3. But computers are so fast now that most people just aren't going to have to worry about stuff like we did 5 years ago.

mshilarious said:
No question, I ain't telling anybody to get a P3. But computers are so fast now that most people just aren't going to have to worry about stuff like we did 5 years ago.
Amen to that.

yeah thanks i was looking at spending between 150 and 225....i was just getting scared when i was reading threads about people "needing" to buy 3,00 dollar computers

Elmo89m said:
...people "needing" to buy 3,000 dollar computers...

It's better to put $ into something that will not become obsolete like mics, pres, and monitors.

One other thing

I strongly advise you to buy a refurbished computer, not a brand new one. Go somewhere like refurbdepot.com, or all the big guys (dell, hp, mac) have areas on their websites which sell refurbs. You'll get a much better computer for the same price. I rec buying a warranty also.

Back