about that EH tube mic preamp

the dairy giant

hi,

has anyone got any new info/opinions about that little EH unit?

there was a bit of talk about it a few weeks ago but all seems to have gone quiet...

I am interested in getting some that is both fantastic and cheap (ha) and hoped this might be it.

I was one of those posters. I bought 1, and liked it so much, I went out and bought 2 more. I record everything live, 4 track- my feet on a bass drum/snare/high hat, vocals, harp in a rack, and vocals. Everything is in the same room, close to each other. With all this considered, I think the sound I am getting from these preamps is pretty good. I was using ART TPSII pre amps before this. I still use one, on one of the drum mics. I am very satified with them. I am still new (2 years) to the recording thing, and I am sure in better hands, the sound would be much better. I am learning..... Walter

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=157137

I love the thing still. I have two: the prototype, and one of the production units (they are almost 100% the same in sound, but they look different).

For certain vocals, and acoustic guitar, i LOVE this thing. My assistant has one and with a soundeluxe U95 he has been recording some insanely great sounding, classic vocal tracks at his apartment!

Really really good. The amount of "sag" built into these pre's, like an ampex 601, really flatters digital formats, and also sits really well going to tape.

why are you doing this to me, joel?

i ended up getting a davisound mic after reading your reviews. love it.

now i gotta get one of these.

feck.

Last edited:
wow, I missed out on these replies, thanks for the info. sounds like it may be the thing to get considering my limited budget... maybe with a ADK vienna or hamburg for a nice cheap mic... good combo I wonder, for vox and acoustic guitar?

Joel... tom waits, sparklehorse, elvis c. ... wow!

I love it. I had some problems initially, but thanks to some troubleshooting help from dudes on this board, I realized it wasn't the EH pre's fault, but rather the unbalanced inputs on my soundcard. I was getting a constant buzz. The thing to know about this EH pre is that it is balanced - so if you're like me, you'll need to get some kind of converter to do the trick. I bought an EBtech "Line Level Shifter" to make the conversion - an 80 dollar solution, but worth it to me, as I love the sound of this pre. My other pre is an FMR RNP, which I also like quite a bit. But, for most solo instruments (guitar - both acoustic and electric, my croaky voice, snare drum, etc.), I reach for the EH pre. Great stuff. Totally affordable. YEAH!

Back