About nTrack's Editing Capabilities

Forte

To edit a track you’ve recorded with a wave editor (such as Cool Edit), specify a path to it in the Preferences/Paths dialog box, select a wave file and then simply click on the wave editor button on the toolbar.

That's a direct quote from the nTrack .hlp file. Now, from what I gather, technically, nTrack is recommending Cool Edit... kind of. Anyway, the point is, I've tried some editing with nTrack... and I can't do it. Have any of you been successful using nTrack as a wave editor, or is it just impossible? I wouldn't be surprised if it's just me; I haven't read through the entire .hlp file.

What's really weird is the fact that it kind of tells you to use Cool Edit. Now, my friend has an old version of Cool Edit, and I downloaded the demo last night (haven't really done much but look at it), but Cool Edit has multi-tracking and (I believe) mixing abilities. So, if you have Cool Edit, why in the world would you use nTrack at all?!

Cool Edit started out as a wave editor, and Cool Edit 2000 is still just that. Cool Edit Pro, which is what you're probably refering to, is a full on multitracker.

I use n-track for multitracking but not for editing. Although I do most of my fades and cutting out noise right in n-Track (non-destructively). I think it works well for the basic stuff. For anything that has to be really precise, even just creating a loop...no way.

Slackmaster 2000

Ah, I see. So then, I suppose getting that really expensive Cool Edit Pro is not a good idea since nTrack serves as my multi-track. All right then, I guess Cool Edit 2000 is all I need then. Good thing too, Cool Edit 2000 is cheaper. :p

Back