About monitor selection

Javo

This is my first post to this forum; i've been checking all forums because of the great info found here, thanks first of all.
What I need to know, I'm almost convinced that I need a pair of monitors since my mixes are sounding good im my headphones AKG K-66 (don't laugh) and AIWA stereo speakers.
When I take it to my Bose system at my car, the mixes sound good, just about the same as in the stereo speakers i use to mix (I already know I should not mix on headphones). Some mids sounds I think the word is "harsh" or "resonant", and on other systems (stereo system of a friend), different car systems, the mix sounds very different, too loud vocals and different eq.
I'm considering buying near field monitors and I'm considering the Yorkvilles YSM1-P and M-Audio SP-8B. Anyone has compared those two? Any other brand suggested? Any advice on not to choose neither? and to keep "learning" my AIWA speakers, or is that going to give me a lot of headaches for my mixes. I've been burning different versions of a same song using diff. eq. to hopefully get them translated well to other systems.
The final point is this: I have been reading the posts and it seems to me that everyone has to learn each kind of monitor so that mixes translates well to different playback systems, so if you need to learn; will it be better to stick to a cheap system and save the money for a better Mic-Preamp, or Microphones. I mean this research thing is slowing me from recording music, and I need a way out... thanks in advance.

Based on what you have said, it is my recommendation that you buy a good set of nearfields. With nearfields, you get much more clarity, detail, and accurateness as compared to consumer speakers. Ideally, they are supposed to judge your mixes impartially, while consumer speakers simply try to make mixes sound good by exaggerating them, so it is obvious that it is easier to create a more balanced mix that will translate better to other systems with nearfields than with the cheaper alternatives. True, whether you use $10 computer speakers or $4,500 Genelecs, your mixes will still differ on different systems, but as a general rule, the differences are easier to minimize if you use real monitors.

Though there is a "learning curve" for monitors, as there is for any speaker system, I think that the time you will save in mixing with a proper setup will more than offset the time you had to spend to become accustomed to your monitors. I don't think that you should spend more time trying to learn your AIWA speakers because, honestly, that class of speakers will never suffice for proper mixing no matter how well you know them, and thus you should not waste any more time on them.

With that in mind, you do not want to settle for a cheap system. You should spend money on a good monitoring system before upgrading your microphones, mixer, or anything else. If you have can't hear properly, you are going to get a bad mix regardless of what gear you have.

Although I have heard little more about the Yorkvilles YSM1-P than what is on this forum, I own a pair M-Audio SP-8Bs and thus I can give you a qualified answer about that option. Overall, I think that the SP-8Bs give you about 80-90% of the quality of monitors like the Mackie HR824s or Event 20/20s, and if you are not even sure that want to invest much on monitors, they are probably the surest buy for your purpose. Before you buy any system, though, listen to each you are considering in the store, or ideally, in a studio.

I must have seen over 50 "monitor" posts in the past few months.
None of them actuly set a path of a well thought out decision on getting monitors. Most of them suggesting a brand or two.
Although there are better and worse monitors in the market, thats not the only issue at hand.

I see no point in buying very expensive moniotrs If your room sounds like a shit. I see no point in buying monitors with a low bass response if your room is untreated and sounds like a garage.....

If your room isnt treated (at least some minimum treatment) acousticly, then buying a good set of moniotrs won't really improve your mix. As a matter of fact if I were to suggest to somebody a set of moniotrs in a ill treated room I would go for monitors who tend to be more efficient in such a room like NS10 or even Passive Tannoy Reveals (I personaly prefer the passive over the active). Getting a monitor with a huge bass response, in a room with out low end treatment, will probably make things much worse.

Were you position your monitors will make a large difference.
Your sitting position will also effect the sound. for example in a small bad room the closer you get (about up to a meter) the more direct the sound. The placement (along which wall? - the longest wall usualy gets the better result...) the height from floor to monitors and celing to monitors will also effect your sound.

There are many cheap ways today to treat a room with items you might have already at home like using bookshelfs as diffusors and
hanging a curtain and more, can do wonders to your room.

What you need to do is either hire a acoustic expert ($$$$)
Or buy a book that can tell you how to DIY ($)
Or search the web and read up. There are many articles on the topic. (!)

Then ! go out and buy a pair of monitors you like. Or....If you got them already, use them and fine tune your room for a better response.

You need to try and convince the seller to let you try them at home....they may sound great at the shop yet when you bring them home to your room, they suck !.
If you cant bring them home then bring a Reference CD you know extremly well and use it to help you choose.

Good Luck

A lot of great info in previos post!
Just remember choosing monitors is very difficult, and a personal desicion. Select some pairs and listen to music you are familiar with. Trust your ears(unless listenig to Event 20/20bas, mixes done on them ALWAYS suck)

Amund

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I just ordered the $299 SP-8Bs from MF. The very famous "bargain" around here. I just hope no to run into problems. I will check them by swaping channels the moment they arrive to make sure they are a matched pair. If there is a better way to check them for deficiencies let me know please. I made two wooden stands for them too 36" tall just cost me around $25 in materials. Tried the idea of the PVC pipe but at Home Depot they don't cut the pipes into different lengths so I just went straight wood.
No my next task I think, will be to "shut up" all those crickets and frogs that sing next to my bedroom studio window. I noticed a reduction of 10 dB when I close the windows but still hear those nature sounds all the night.
Any suggestion on how to do this will be appreciated. Thanks

Back