? About Home Recording

Tim2

I need to do some home recording, all I have now is a Tascam Porta 7, Yamaha Keys that record to a 3.5 disk and an IBM PC. I want to get a CD Burner that makes cds goodenough to sell to the public, also is there a CD Burner that you can record directly into? Don`t yell, I`am very new to this. Thanks.

Yer on the right path...
Yes, you can record direct to CDR.
You can even record direct to CDRW.
The TASCAM CDRW-5000 rocks.

Thanks for the help, but I`am hearing that CDRW may not be playable on all cd players, is that true, again thanks for your help. O I wanted to say my pc is only 133 thing, I did upgrade to 64mb ram is it ok?

Close

Ya they will you just have to close the session when your done. I do it all the time. Donny!!!
Your computer will work but it will be vary slow. I used a 100Mhz for two years till I was able to upgrad my whole system.

Thanks Donny, can I upgrade from 133 to whatever? I have to leave right now to go to the dentist, be back in a while. appreciate all help Thanks.

133 meg is your processor speed, they're making 'em at about 1 gig now. You can upgrade it but, you also need to upgrade motherboard and memory and who knows what else. You would be better off to save up for a whole new rig. I am using a 350 meg now, which I would toss out the window in a heartbeat, but I bought an extended warranty and still got another year left, so I am stuck.

Upgrade

I don't know about upgrading your computer, more ram always helps. I gave my daugher my old one and about a year ago I baught all new. I now have two 450Mhz's computers networked together and both have 256Mhz of RAM. Each has a CDRW and you use the sofware that comes with the CDRW to close the burn out. The CDRW CD's won't work in your other CD players but the CDR's will as long as you close it out. I hope that helped you out. Later,Donny!!!

Out Dated

bball jones Hi, I know doesn't it make you sick. My system was out dated before I got it all working. A buddy of mine just baught a new HP 900Mhz, 128Megs of RAM, a CDRW bulit in and a 60 GIG hard drive and a 17" montor all set up for $1700.00 US. I payed more than that for just one of my computers and I had to put another $500.00 into it to get what I have. Shit I'm getting depressed. Later, Donny!!!

You guys are all a big help, I asked about recording direct into the CD Burner, it almost seems too simple after hearing all the stuff some of you guys have, My keyboard has a lot of features built in for recording and mixing, so what are the pros and cons of recording direct. Thanks

Ok, you need to define your problem here.

Are you asking about:

a) Running a final mix into a computer and burning it onto a CDR.

b) Using your PC for MIDI recording. You mentioned your keyboard and "saving to a floppy" which implies MIDI.

c) Multitrack audio recording on your PC (live audio, guitars, vocals, etc many multiple tracks).

If the answer is:

a) Your computer is really on the verge here.

You basically have the minimum system requirements to burn a CD, and you might not have much luck burning at high speeds. The only way to tell is to buy a CD burner and give it a try.

You will also need a soundcard with a line-in port that can record at 16bit 44.1khz stereo minimum. You will take a line out from your tascam into the soundcard, and record a single stereo track onto the computer. For this you can use software such as http://www.goldwave.com or anything that will allow you to record 16/44.1 audio. Depending on the actual ability of your machine, which entails much more than CPU speed, even recording one stereo track might prove difficult though. Also note that 16/44.1 stereo audio requires almost 10MB of space per minute!

If you're only talking about these very simple tasks, you could buy one of those nifty overdrive chips and perhaps a faster hard drive and possibly extend the life of your machine...but only for these minor applications.

b) Your computer can probably do a lot of things with MIDI. There is software out there that's similar to n-Track in price/performance but is geared towards MIDI...anyone know what it is? Protracks or something? Argh, can't remember. Somebody help? You will need a soundcard with a MIDI port (typically doubles as a joystick port).

c) You're SOL unless you plan on keeping things ridiculously simple. Don't even bother upgrading that machine for this purpose because your money would be better spent on a new system. Assuming your PC really is a P133, you would need a new motherboard, a new CPU, new memory, a new hard drive, probably a new case, and in some cases a new video card. In other words...a new machine :)

As far as CDRW vs CDR; always burn to CDR if you're going to distribute the CD's. Even though many newer CD players can play CDRW media, most older and some newer models will reject it. For your own use, however, CDRW is great media for working on as even 50 cents per CDR disc can get pretty expensive over time.

Slackmaster 2000

WOW thanks slackmaster, what I want to do is find the most simple way to record a song and burn it on a cd, my keyboard has complete remixing capabilities + many more features, I have been playing music most of my life but I`am not very good with pcs and electronic type of things,being a B3 player most of the time I didn`t learn much about the new tech stuff, I`am willing just not very fast at this. I was very slow to park my B, but just couldn`t bring it any more Thanks again. Oh forgot to say everything will be recorded with the keys, no other inst. involved.

Recording

You can use your computer to record CDR's all right. I used my old 100Mhz to do it but I couldn't record faster than 1 times. If I tried to record two times it wouldn't do it. Later, Donny!!!

Thanks Donny, thats good to know, I would like to get a new one if I can, but don`t know yet, I would still like to know about recording direct to the burner, I think I might be missing something here, again not too smart about this stuff. Also anyone have any info about yamaha cd burners, I`am reading they are more trouble free than some others, what one would you guys buy? Thanks

[Edited by Tim2 on 11-16-2000 at 03:11]

CD burners

I don't know anything about the yamaha burner. The two I have are 1 Memorex CRW-1622 that's the 2 times. The newer one is an HP 9100 series plus, it's an 8 times record. Some people on the fourm say you can't use 8 times to record but I do it all the time. The first one I got 2 years ago for $250.00 and the 8 times I picked up this summer for $250.00. I think you can get a 2 times for about $100.00 or less today. As long as you record at 1 times you should be okay. It takes about an hour to record 15 songs on the two times and only 8 min. on the 8 times but what the heck your not in any hurry. By the way I don't think the 8 times one would work on that slow a CPU. I'm sure there are others out there with other info. so keep reading and you'll get the hang of it. Later, Donny!!!
P.S. I would think you would have to record to your hard drive because to record CD you need a wav file. I don't know squat about stand alone units.

Ok there is some miscommunication here again.

To "record" is to record/digitize. To "burn" is to burn/copy.

You cannot record directly to a computer CD burner. The standalone boxes that have been mentioned in this thread will allow you to record directly to CD however. The benefits? In your case I guess one less step, in that you wouldn't have to first RECORD your tracks on the computer. Depending on your computer, it could also save you the cost of upgrading. And, depending on your soundcard, it could result in a better sounding final product.

A computer-based CD burner has advantages though. First it can make data backups of your audio and other files. Second it's very very cheap. Third it's very very cheap.

Yamaha IDE CD burners are excellent. Highly recommended. Plextor also has a great reputation. HP seems to recall a CD burner or two every stinking year. The best resource you have for figuring this one out is http://www.deja.com/usenet .

On your current machine, depending on the actual efficiency of your hard drive and controller etc, you will probably only be able to burn at 2X. Burning at 2X seems to be the preferred standard for audio as it's supposedly the sweet spot between speed and jitter...see http://www.digido.com if you want a headache. However, burning at 8X or better is an absolute thrill...having a full length CD pop out in just a few minutes is cool.

You can get a Yamaha 8X burner for $170 or so nowadays. I would not recommend buying a slower burner just because you're planning on burning slower either. Reason: A 2X burner is an old burner, no matter when you actually buy it. Old burner = less manufacturer support. Old burner = less software support. Old burner = older specifications. CDR technology is just coming out of its infancy and seems to still be changing rapidly. Buy new.

Slackmaster 2000

That info really helps THANKS, The reason I ask about recording direct is that I know a little more about the recording part than I do about pcs and saving files and that kind of thing, but again I need the cds to be good quality so whatever is the best way to go is what I`ll do, I know the one Yamaha unit I looked at was $1399.00, so maybe for that much I could up-grade the pc and get an internal one? Thanks again, I really appreciate all of this advice. Tim2

Look around!!

Tim, buddy look around, For the kind of money your talking you could get a new computer with a CD burner bult in. You don't need a monitor you've got that already. Don't wast any money on one that has a DVD player in it. DVD movies on a computer screen are a wast even on my monitor witch is 19". Go to CompUSA or other computer store sometimes they will bulid one just for your needs. Bottom line is shop around!! Later,Donny!!!

Thanks Donny, I never thought of getting one built, that may be the way to go. Thanks again Tim2

Back