About Continuity.

Murdersgalore

I am currently working on a project and I want to incorporate an older recording into it. This isn't something that I could easily re-track because it was recorded 3 years ago with instruments and equipment I no longer have access to. Other than eq what are some other tricks I can use to make it feel like it fits into the project. I have done this before by incorporating a fade out and an extended space after the track that is different before a track that has a higher energy to create the illusion that it was done purposefully but the problem here is a. I want to use this tune as an instrumental intro and b. there is a crucial piano lick at the end I want to keep. Any suggestions?

Now that is a proper mastering question!

The easy answer is to finish the rest of the project and then hand them over to a mastering engineer with a good pair of ears.
Unfortunately the more useful answer is probably also the more difficult one:

First question, do you still have the multitrack of the original track or are you working off the stereo mix?
If you do have the multi, then have a look at how the vocals sit in the mix, and how powerful do the drums sound?
Is the amount of reverb/'space' in the original comparable to the new stuff?

If you're on the stereo, this is more tricky. If there isn't enough reverb on the old track, then add something similar to what you've put on the new stuff. BUT, if there's too much on a stereo mix, that's hard to get rid of. Either live with it or tweak the new stuff to match :/

The other thing to consider is the dynamics of both old and new. Firstly, does the old one sound as 'loud' as the new stuff? Maybe you need to bring up the level with some soft compression to match the new.

If all else fails, maybe consider something along the lines of a short interlude or change of scene. Or maybe even a kind of demi-bridge? Although this might not match either the old recording or the newer ones, it might help bridge the gap. Even if the sound changes radically twice, it might sound more deliberate than an old recording shunted on the front of a newer, better mix.

Does that help at all?

Fortunately it's an instrumental track so I don't have to worry about vocals and I don't have much reverb going on either one so that's a plus right there. The negative is I am down to a stereo track. When I A/B I am hearing two really big differences: Guitar is a bit thinner with more treble and the drum track has a clickier kick drum (almost too much so...I was into that back them). I like the idea of possibly tying the two together with some sort of interlude. It's just hard for me to judge because I will always know it's different. Too bad I don't have the budget for a pro.

I think you will be looking at a cross fade of some kind with audio in the gaps.
Difficult to advise with accuracy without hearing it.

I am currently working on a project and I want to incorporate an older recording into it. This isn't something that I could easily re-track because it was recorded 3 years ago with instruments and equipment I no longer have access to. Other than eq what are some other tricks I can use to make it feel like it fits into the project. I have done this before by incorporating a fade out and an extended space after the track that is different before a track that has a higher energy to create the illusion that it was done purposefully but the problem here is a. I want to use this tune as an instrumental intro and b. there is a crucial piano lick at the end I want to keep. Any suggestions?

Since the track is going to be mainly used as an intro or lead in for another song, I don't think it necessarily needs to have the continuity in frequency balance that is associated with a full on song.

It sounds like it just needs to sound like it "belongs" which will probably be dictated with how it is attached or connected to the song that follows it... maybe by some sort of crossfade or similar lingering effect that ties it together.

There are a lot of albums I like that do not have strong continuity. Older Wilco sounds like a bunch of single songs. It's not a problem usually. If you can get continuity great! If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

My stuff all sounds the same because I only have a little bit of gear and a little bit of skill!

Back