Abbey Road Studio B?

k1enneth

I have your basic Tascam Portastudio 414mk ii with midiverb 3 for reverb and a mike pre...Anyway, the small 10 x 10 office I record in was carpeted, day bed and sonically dead, even with reverb the lead vocal sounded empty. Low and behold, I moved the mike and mike stand into studio B (bathroom) picked up the bath matts and took some vocal takes from there. What a huge difference!! Now the vocal sounds ALIVE, and with reverb added it takes on colorful qualities. Anyone else have similiar techniques for improving vocals?

If you're ever able to add more tracks, record the vocals in the "dead" office. Play it back through a monitor in the "live" bathroom and put a mic in there (not in a direct line with the monitor).

You can also use an aux send and return for this...

Now you've got a "reverb chamber" that you can have some control over.

Just make sure no one flushes while you're recording...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

reverb chamber

thanks, monitors may be my next purchase. I've been trying all these different Midiverb III delay and reverbs, there are a couple of stereogen and thickeners I tried, but nothing was breathing life into the vocals until I tried studio B. I'll try to watch out for anyone else occupying the studio.

studio B

Mike A...man that is too much. Just when I thought I had somethin' new happening. Now the secret is out. What are those things on the wall? Or is that a standup group jacuzzi?

Back