AARK 20/20+ or Layla?

Hoopy

Hi, I know a lot about computers and a lot about writing music. I am new to computer based recording however. I was wondering if anybody could help me decide to get either the AARK 20/20+ or the Layla, or any other great sound card between $500 and $800. I have a Pentium II/333, 96 megs of RAM, and an 8 gig drive, with Windows 98. I will be working with mainly guitar, bass, vocals, and percussion. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hoopy, I'm in the same boat. I've been looking closely at the Aark 24/96. What appeals to me is 4 built in mic pre amps. If you think recording 4 tracks at a time is enough for you this might be a good choice. They have a good rep. and they include some basic mixing software as well. Im trying to stay away from an external mixer if I can and this looks like a good way to go.

I have also seen the demo for the Digi001 from Digidesign. It's not out for the PC yet
but it includes Pro Tools almost in it's entirety and thats a great deal. Probably won't be out until March though. Good luck.

As discussed in the topic "Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96":

Seems to me this card's been vaporware forever now... I'd maybe wait till it's actually released, to see if there are major bugs infesting it (could that be the reason behind the excessive delay?).

I was contemplating the Lexicon Core-2 until 4 out of 5 people who bought it brought it back because of serious problems (I didn't get to the nature of those problems, mind you...). Unanimity is against Lexicon Core-2, so I'm backing off. And since Lexicon has a good rep in digital audio, it's kinda shocking to me that they would come up with such a dud. In the end, I'll probably dish out the dough for the Digi-001 - of course, if everything Aardvark claims about the Direct Pro pans out, I might reconsider. Both look appealing to our kind of setup...

Speaking of which, does anyone know if Digi has DSP? (Something the Aark flaunts...)

Suntag, check out the post in this forum called Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96. I believe they said it is shipping.

concerning Digi 001, I don't see any mention of DSP's in their info-pack or at their web site, so I guess none are included.

Layth: he he he... I've heard that before. Aardvark is the reason why "never cry wolf" has been renamed "never cry 'now shipping'"... CwillU hopes to get his by December 30th. Time will tell, but I'm sceptical, given their history of last-second delays...

This being said, why would anyone pay more for Digi (other than for the included software) when it doesn't take any load off the computer's CPU? (That's what DSP is all about, right?).

Hey guys

I've had confirmation from several distributors that they've recieved their shipments of Direct Pros, so I don't think they're lying this time. Come to think of it, they only ever lied (exagerated?) about their release dates...

Of course... UPS won't guarantee delivery times for anything sent before the 25...

William Underwood

PS Is there anything Aardvark doesn't flaunt about their products? They even felt the need to point out that the control panel for the DP24/96 came in 4 cool colours!! : )

[This message has been edited by cwillu (edited 12-30-1999).]

This biz is so competitive that if you've got it, you'd <better> flaunt it or be overtaken by clones that kick your butt in sales.

Back