aardvark q10

hd1903

what are your thoughts on this card. are there any other cards or mixer/card combo's your prefer over this q10, for about the same money? does the fact that you go straight in the cards pre amps rather than a mixer make a cleaner sound?

you can record 8 tracks at once with this card right? how about the other two guitar plug in's on it, can't use that for over heads for drums or anything huh? i'm thinking 10 tracks would be ideal for drums.

Only 8 at a time. The 2 Hi Z inputs take over for inputs 7 and 8 when tracking.

I hear it has a great clock, good converters, and good preamps. I think the preamps are about the same as in a mackie or soundcraft board, some say a little better, some say a little worse. but about the same. I has a ton of stuff in it that will avoid the use of a mixer such as monitor outputs with a volume control, and the same with headphones.

Yea it would reduce signal degredation a little bit, not having to go mic-mixingboard/preamp-soundcard, but going mic-soundcard. Over all it's supposed to be a great card, and exceptional for the money. I was set on buying one until i realized that i don't need 8 inputs, and my money could be better spent. BUT, i cannot find ANY way to control the levels of monitoring speakers properly with anything else. You can buy a passive preamp (i know oxymoron, ok preamp that just controls the volume and doesn't do anything else), but those can run like 300 US bucks. I mean if i bought say an RNP, a preamp for the volume control, and a delta 66 it would run the same as an ardvark q10 or probably more, and i'd have 2 channels of preamps and only 4 inputs. With the Aardvark i'd have 8 preamps, 8 inputs, and all taht other crap. BUT, then again i would normally only use 2 inputs and the RNP would be better preamps. So i'm really torn here.

But i don't know if there is another product in this price range/existance that has all of the same things as the Q10. Are there any other all in one cards like this?

i agree with what ambi said about the quality of the preamps,clock,converters...well worth the money and youd be hard pressed to find the same quality for less......

what i have to say is merlely opinion:you dont need 10 tracks for drums......

I prefer 4 but 6-7 is about the most....

kick(1)
snare(1)
stereo over heads(2)
stereo toms(2)
room(1)

you can leave off the toms if your overheads pick them up well enuff....only use the room mic if the room sounds good.....

cool, i hoped it was a good decision for that card, sounded good to me.

now with the drums, i might have a 6 peice set if things go my way. so by your opinion i could do something like this.

1 -kick
1 -snare
2 -over heads
1 -room
1 -share 1st and sec tom
2 -tom and floor tom

do you think it's important to mic the hi hats, i think i'm gonna want nice crisp and detailed hi hat sound and stand out.

thanks for the thoughts and advice

If i'm not mistaken using SD condensors as overheads will pick up a lot, especially the cymbols, so maybe that will be enough? Don't take my word for it i've never done it. But i did use one LD condensor as an overhead once, but it wasn't very high up, and pointed at the snare to give it more crack and body. Even still it picked up the cymbals well.

Gidge do you have experience with the Aardvark? I'm considering it as well for a good start. I have this big controversy with controlling the levels of monitoring speakers and i'm thinking that maybe the Aardvark would be good because of the Monitor output and volume knob.

i'm still a little unsure about the preamps in the unit. What kind of character do they have? Are they transparent like the mackies? I heard a few recordings using an Aardvark and they seemed a little more coloured in the midrange (not in a bad way, it was quite good), but i don't know if that was from the mixing or not.

Back