Aardvark q10 Vs Delta1010

Mr. Ins@ne

Hi guys. I have one Delta1010 and been using it for sometime. For me it has some problems like, no power button, no headphones or monitor out, no xlr inputs, no built-in mic pres, etc. Apart fro that, works just fine. A friend of mine is selling one Q10 and it has everything that Delta1010 has not (specially the 4 inserts that in my opinion might be quite useful). My question is, about quality and performance (regardless of the extras that Q10 has) do I get better or at least the same quality has I would with Delta1010? Even if I get the same quality and performance, I might change to the q10 because of all the extras. Give me your opinions on that if you please.

i frankly insane dont like all in one mic pre plus sound card solutions.
because if the one unit goes down your SOL. studio is down.
my advice is keep the delta - and add a mixer if you dont have one.
or save up for some good mic pre's as well.
more flexible imho.
my 2 cents.

ya i would agree with manning. you already have a nice soundcard, use your money to buy some nice preamps, maybe an m-audio octane, or a mackie onyx if you are feeling adventurous.

Well let's look at the pros and cons of each here. Like you stated in your previous post, the delta:

- has virtually no mic pres
- no monitor inputs
-/+ not an AIO card solution (to some, this could be either a pro or a con)
- ALOT of cables

+ affordable
+ compatable, works with almost anything
+ good sound quality for the price

On the other hand, the aardvark:

+ GREAT mic pre's (i read somewhere on this forum the pre's on this are awesome, comparable to digidesign's mbox/002 focusrite pre's)
+ 4+ inputs, HI-Z inputs for guitar
+ Great Quality
+ external rackmount box for no hassle-cables etc.

- compared to the delta, this thing will be at least 200 more
- compatability issues (read aardvark's website, I believe some have said this box really likes intel machines)

Here's what you have to think about. Do you want to spend $400-600 and upgrade everything, or keep your delta and spend ALOT more on mic pre's mixer, etc? What manning said about something happening to the box and your screwed isn't ENTIRELY true. These things have warranties on them, and if something goes wrong there's no reason the company won't gladly replace it. Not only that, but will you save more on buying a AIO solution or by going out and purchasing all this other gear, like the mixer and outboard mic pres?

Let's get one thing straight, if you want a quality mic pre your not gonna find anything out there that's any good in the sub $1000 range. All pro, high-class mic pre's
are well over AT LEAST 800 bucks. Go the the "other equipment and reviews" forums and ask anyone there, they will tell you the exact same thing. Even a low end pre box like RNC costs $800 bucks. Oh, and not to mention you want more inputs so you'll have to get a mixer. Slap on another $200-300 for something basic with phantom power and more than 4 inputs like the yamaha mg/12. You're already now at 1000 bucks, just for 2 peices of gear that you could've already got in one package with the aardvark.

It all depends on what your needs are, what you're going to be doing and how much you wanna spend. If your delta really makes you happy and you have some serious dough to blow, go and buy some really nice outboard gear that will surely make a hella of a difference. Or if you just want everything in one nice little package without putting a huge hole in your wallet, go and buy the aardvark. The aardvark still has GREAT pre's and all the inputs you could need for a very right price.

-Dave

If the delta1010 is working for you then I wouldn't switch. The difference in quality of the converters between both units is probably negligable. The Q10 does have more compatiblity issues, but it's not nearly as bad as something like a motu. I would lean towards m-audio in the long run. I own several of their products and I think they make some of the best stuff out there for the price. It sounds like what you need is a mixer, not another AD/DA box with more features. Like Manning, I tend to avoid all in one solutions. Having a separate unit for each task makes it easier to upgrade in the future, and it causes less of a mess if something breaks. Just my two cents.

The Delta 1010 is aimed more at people in an analog mixer/PC recorder setup.
If you don't wan't a mixer in your studio (why not?) then leave the Delta alone.

As a link between analog studio and PC recording/editing it's a great card at a great price

Back