Aardvark-I think I give up

FZmontanaDF

It has been a long time since I got my Q10. A long time since they started saying they would have final MME/ASIO drivers out soon. What about WDM?I can't record 24bit with these crappy drivers on Windows XP PRo w/Sonar. I really like the Q10 but it is not worth the hassle. I am thinking about moving towards the Delta 1010, it is cheaper, and then I can buy a nice Joemeek, and another preamp or something.(just heard there is a $100 off rebate on the Delta now, don't know how true that is yet). I am about to send it back...Anyone have any advice?
Daniel

Hey Daniel...

Did Aardvark send you the "logging version" of Beta 5 ASIO/MME drivers? They INSTALLED flawlessly for me in a new install of XP Pro.

I still get a damn whine in the L channel, but I'm afraid it might be my MOBO (ECS K7S5A).

I could send 'em to ya if you'd like to try them.

Queue

"I still get a damn whine in the L channel, but I'm afraid it might be my MOBO (ECS K7S5A). "

Queue,

If your talking about a whine in you monitor you might try a ground loop isolator, they are available at radio shak for about $15.00. If it doesn't work you can take it back.

Hope it helps.

Teh bastard works. Just not in 24 bit. The preamps sound great, I love the thing. But the company doesn't really deserve my business. I would like some WDM drivers.
Thanks for the response,
Daniel

darkstar32448 said:
[BIf your talking about a whine in you monitor you might try a ground loop isolator, they are available at radio shak for about $15.00. If it doesn't work you can take it back.
[/B]

Darkstar,
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm pretty sure that won't do it. I have a mobile rack HD in this box right now. If I slide in the WinME HD, no whine, if I slide in the XP HD, whine. I also know it is not the HD, cuz I've installed the OS's on both drives with same results, and I took the mobile rack out of the loop, and it still whined and and and :mad:

I think that at this point, I'll try each iteration of Aark drivers as they come along, and eventually, when I get fed up with recording in WinMe, I'll upgrade the MOBO.

Queue

It has four inserts on the back. What if I would like to use more than 4 pres besides the aardvark ones. It is mainly the driver issue. I doubt they will come out with decent drivers anytime soon. They don't even have final drivers for 2k. IT came out two years ago!!! come on

those inserts are for inserting effects processors (compressors, reverb, etc) into the signal chain....you can run a preamp into any of the 8 analog inputs.....

for now id dual boot and use whatever OS it has usable drivers for......that q10 is an awesome unit for the price......and those 8 preamps are really nice....youd paymore than you paid for the whole card just for 8 channels of preamp that good.....

plus it has 4 aux channels and headphone outputs.....Aardvark makes one of the better clocks as far as prosumer cards go......

by the time you buy the 1010, a nice Joe Meek, and some other preamps youve easily lost $1000......

unless you go with a 1010lt....

1010 lt - 379
Audio Buddy -79
Art Dual preamp-250
Joe Meek vc3Q - 99 if you can still find one at GC

right here you are about $800 with 7 preamps of different flavor......

of course the 1010lt has unbalanced connectors..in my book that isnt a terrible thing......

Gidge said:
those inserts are for inserting effects processors (compressors, reverb, etc) into the signal chain....you can run a preamp into any of the 8 analog inputs.....
You can't bypass the Aardvark Preamps

Are you saying that you can't run a preamp into the Q10's 1/4" line in ports? Seems like you should be able to, otherwise it would be pretty silly to have 1/4" line inputs.

It looks like they stuck the 1/4" inputs on the rear of the unit to make room for the 8 mic pres that are accessed from the front. That might be a bit of a pain, but you'll still be be bypassing the preamps...well, not bypassing, just not using.

Slackmaster 2000

i promise you you can hook up a preamp to it...go out of the preamp and into the input with a 1/4 inch plug......

im looking at page 8 of the owners manual.....read the first 2 paragraphs.....

also i heard that in future driver updates (ouch!sensitive subject, sorry)96khz recording will be possible....so there goes the only downside to the q10.....

Gidge said:
Each of those 8 analog inputs has a preamp on it. Only the 4 1/4" inputs on the back do not have the preamps. If you run it through any of the 8 you are going to be using the Preamp because you CANNOT. Turn them off.

those 4 jacks on the back are auxillary channels.....

did you read the manual?.....i gave you the file and the page.......

Per the manual, they are not preamps, they are 1/4" TRS balanced line level inputs. They are not microphone preamps.

Slackmaster 2000

Back