Aaarrrhhhggg. European Manual.

tombuur

Now Shipping

Note: SONAR 4 ships with a multi - language manual with 275 pages in english. A pdf file of the complete 706 English/American manual is on the CD under Online Docs folder.

So this is what I am waiting fo to receive next week, probably. And I ordered from England hoping to get the full English manual. Don't they think people speak English there? They haven't even got a Hispanic minority of any significant size, nor a German one, and the French only left some traces in the English language hundreds of years ago.

It's dumb, dumb, dumb. Did you see Greg Henderschott's post? Looks like they are trying to address it somehow.

Q.

Hey, why haven't I got my copy yet, if you have had yours? I preordered very early on. First week or so. This time I ordered from Etcetera, because they only charge British sales tax. Sonar 3 I got from Edirol Europe. Where did you get yours?

BTW. I just traded my Christmas holiday for some work in Norway (Lofoten) an hour ago. I want an RME Fireface 800.

HMusikk said:
No You don't. I got my copy on saturday...with the EU-manual....but what's the problem??? I havn't used my SONAR 3 PE manual yet...why would I use the 4.0 PE????
DOOOOH!

I haven't read the 3.0 or 2.0 manual either (I've flipped through them, though). I've moved alot the past few years, so I don't even know where they are. But it's the principle! I want the bigggg manual!

But somebody please explain to me why I got the big manual for all Cakewalk-versions? Hmmm... maybe my local dealership buys their copies from the US? :confused:

Well, I want the big manual, because sometimes I systematically study a certain feature of a program. That might be when I go by train to a meeting, I go by train when possible to spend my time reading rather than staring at the road. Or when my wife insists you can't sit inside on hot summerday ... So I have actually studied selected parts of the Sonar 3 manual.

Late breaking news:

Dear Mr Buur, your irder has been sent today via international post.
Thank you for your order.
Regards
Et Cetera

Why do they always write "irder", think they did that last time too. Or is it a word in English I haven't learnt?

I want the full manual, because everytime I upgrade that's my bedtime literature for a month or so. And everytime I not only learn about new stuff but also stuff that I'd forgot or never learned that even the previous release had. After that I keep it at a bookshelf next to my computer - and use it every now and then.

Believe it or not some of us DO read and use the manual. And Cakewalks is one of the best. And one of the reasons I like their software so much.

Well, I'll just have to buy Sonar power...

I'm glad i'm not a Brit or Aussie, then I'd be really mad...
It's stupid to ship the multilingual manual in Scandinavia - as nearly all of us has English as secondary language, but to force it on english-speaking countries is beyond belief.

Beltrom said:
It's stupid to ship the multilingual manual in Scandinavia - as nearly all of us has English as secondary language, but to force it on english-speaking countries is beyond belief.

..and here we have two from Norway, one from Sweeden and one from Denmark "talking" english to each other...:-)))))))))))

moskus said:
But somebody please explain to me why I got the big manual for all Cakewalk-versions? Hmmm... maybe my local dealership buys their copies from the US? :confused:

You (and I) probably upgraded pretty early to version 3. The Euromanual wasn't shipping in the beginning. This is guesswork. But I think we're stuck with it for 4.

Beltrom said:
Well, I'll just have to buy Sonar power...

Finally, a reason to buy it. I have Sonar Power for Sonar 3 and thought it didnt' tell me much that wasn't in the manual. This time it is different.

With Beltrom here this means: Norwegian, Danish and Swedish votes go to the full length American manual. So Cakewalk, please listen, when it is time to upgrade next year, the British and the Vikings want the big one!!!

Beltrom said:
You (and I) probably upgraded pretty early to version 3. The Euromanual wasn't shipping in the beginning. This is guesswork. But I think we're stuck with it for 4.
That is a good guess! I was first in line when Sonar 3 hit Norway.

Reading at the bottom of this link. It seems we at least should be able to buy the manual for around $30. Check out the last five questions.

http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=255149

Now if I could only get some answers from Roland in Sweden if we can get in on the Project 5-deal ($99 for Sonar users in October) as Robin Kelly from Cakewalk promised, I'd be happy. Not sure if I will take the offer, but i want to know if it's an option or not. Anyone here use project 5 or looking into this deal?

Btw. Upgrade prices in Sweden seems fair this time. So that's something they've fixed - and should have credit for. Got to admit I didn't really expect that to happen.

Last edited:
christiaan said:
Does the euro manual come with dutch? :D

Yes, you just take the three languages there and make a total mix. That would sound Dutch to me.

Anyway, I've got it now. Can't see much about the new features in the Euro-manual. But I am tired after 12 hours of work today and may have overlooked something. Also I will wait and install S4 untill tomorrow night. That's called self-discipline, folks!

You haven't - there is nothing there.

Cakewalk have cheap-skated out of this release and the EU manual is simply the first 7 chapters of the full manual. The "What's New" section didn't get into the cut-down, shitty, pseduo-manual as it comes toward the end of the full manual.

This manual thing is really pissing me off.

Q.

Still just flipping through the Euro-manual, it looks as though there is nothing new here. 99% of it I already know, how to mute a track, insert an effect etc. And they even repeat all this in two other languages I happen to be able to read too. It is worthless, useless, waste of book shelf space.

Back