Aaarrrghhh! No CD Audio in Windows!

MercyfullMusic

I changed out my motherboard with a new one, and took out my Soundblaster Gold audio card which I only used for MIDI. Reinstalled everything. Everything works fine, but I can't play CD audio!!!! When you click on the Volume Control Mixer icon at the bottom you get properties for my soundcard (Midiman DMan 2044), but not for any other things like CD Audio level, line out level, etc. How do I get this to work?

P.S. I already tried removing the Multimedia Windows components and reinstalling, but it didn't work.

Aaaaarggghhhh!!!!!!!!!

Do you have the digital audio playback option turned on for your CD-ROM (you click on the properties of your CD-ROM in the hardware manager)? Does your new card support that?

If you don't have that little cable running from the back of your CD-ROM to your sound card AND your sound card does not support digital audio playback, I don't see you you would be able to listen to CD audio. :(

There is nothing stopping you from using both sound cards together either.

You just need a better player. Try using a player like Media Player 7 that supports digital audio extraction. The CDROM doesn't even need to support it.

Slackmaster 2000

goto Start, Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, Volume Control

in Volume Control goto Options, Properties, look at 'Adjust volume for' = Playback, Show the following volume controls: make sure the CD Audio is ticked.

also, did you ensure to connect the internal cable from your CD-Rom to your soundcard or motherboard.

decoy.

Media player V7! You do not need to connect your CD-ROM to your soundcard with MP7. In fact many sound cards, like my Delta 1010's, don't even have a place to plug your CD-ROM into.
Of course this applies to CD-R's also. Good luck.

Thanks Guys

I went to the M-Audio site and actually found instructions under another product they make. I had to download WinAmp or MediaPlayer 7 instead of Realjukebox which I was using. I got Winamp, I'll let you know if it works.....

Thanks.

Also thanks for the note on not needing to connect the CD Rom to the soundcard. There is no connection for that on my card and I thought maybe that was the problem. Thanks.

Back